Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 05-27-2024, 08:49 AM   #1

Default Replacing the power converter - dimensions

I need to buy new batteries for my 2206T. Given the cost of lifepo4's and the weight & shortcomings of lead acid, I've decided to upgrade the power converter to a lithium compatible power converter.

For the cost of two decent deep cycle 100AH lead acid batteries plus about $40 I can upgrade the power converter and get a lifepo4 100AH battery reducing the tongue weight by 90lbs.

I've measured the space for the existing power converter. It measures 5" L x 5" H x 12" W. I've not pulled out the distribution panel (DP) to examine it in depth, but I am wondering how I'm going to accommodate a new power converter. The ones I've seen mentioned in other posts do not match the dimensions of the space for the existing power converter. Boondocker 35A, PD4045, PD9145A.

I don't want to replace the DP if I can help it. Can anyone offer advice here? If I have to replace the DP, I will.

Shaihulud2090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:07 AM   #2
Site Team

Shaihulud, there are certainly converters that allow you to keep your existing DP, but I chose to replace my Elixir converter with one that includes the DP. It was the PD4045 and I've posted a thread on the replacement here: https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f28...lacement-7659/ It is smaller than the OEM Elixir converter so space is not an issue and I like the fuse layout on the DP MUCH better than the one that the Elixir had. Specifically, the pesky two 30A battery charging fuses are now on the FRONT of the panel, rather than hidden behind it and there is a LED on the panel that tells you if one of those fuses has blown.

If you haven't seen them, the LiTime LiFePO4 Group Size 24 batteries look a good choice now. They have low temperature charging protection as well as the normal high temperature and short circuit protection and are will liked in several reviews I've read. Additionally, they are very affordable.

- Jack

Old 05-27-2024, 11:53 AM   #3

Thanks Jack. I have read your thread about the installation of the DP you posted. It was very informative. But if I could find a drop in replacement for the PC I'd rather go that route.if I can't do that I will certainly follow your steps.
Old 05-27-2024, 06:50 PM   #4
sam

Default Best Converter.

Look up Best Converters Phone #. You will be able to speak with a tech. I have ordered two converters from them. They ship out fast. EC customer service.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 05:15 PM   #5

Do we have any long-term info on LiFePO4 batteries being used in our trailers with the demands of the hydraulic lift system? After installing my Renogy ammeter, I was seeing a max of about 96A of current to lift the top. Would this rush of current cause any issues to a LiFePO4 battery or its BMS? I'm seeing some with 100A max discharge rates, others with 150A. I think it's a pretty unique power demand in the camping trailer industry, but I suppose some rigs have their electric or hydraulic slides, too.

-Nick
NTL1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 05:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Nick, my LiFePO4 battery system has worked perfectly for the year that I've had it. I think I've probably raised the top at least 20 times during that period and I know this is hardly a "long term" report, but so far, I'm very happy with the batteries.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Nick, my LiFePO4 battery system has worked perfectly for the year that I've had it. I think I've probably raised the top at least 20 times during that period and I know this is hardly a "long term" report, but so far, I'm very happy with the batteries.

- Jack
Thank you, Jack!
NTL1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 08:51 PM   #8

Jack, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new power converter purchase. I was wondering if you could share your insight on why you chose the PD4045. It looks like a good unit and I've read enough of your posts to know you like it. I'm torn between it and the BD 1245PC. The advantage for me is the BD1245PC looks like it's a drop in replacement and won't require any modification to mount it.
Old 06-11-2024, 11:25 PM   #9
Site Team

I think the main reason I chose the PD4045, was that it was significantly cheaper than the BoonDocker unit I was seeing at that time. Now, it's only $1, cheaper, so they're a wash. I know Boondocker makes good converters, but I'm pleased with my PD one too.

I'd say go with the BoonDocker if it looks easier to install. Like in my installation, you should be able to simply transfer the CBs and fuses to the new unit, so I wouldn't pay for new ones.

I DO like the LED in the PD that tells me the status of those pesky 30A fuses, and it was simple to convert it to a LiFePO4 battery charger.

Can you download a user/installation manual for the BoonDocker before you order it? I did that for the PD and it helped me decide to get it.

- Jack
Old 06-12-2024, 08:34 PM   #10
sam

Default Converter dimensions.

I called Best Converter and told him my old model. The tech advised me on what model that would fit/work.
Old 06-17-2024, 11:36 AM   #11

Yes, it looks like they have a drop in replacement for the Elixir. I looked at the documentation for it. I'm concerned that it doesn't specifically discuss lifepo4 charging that I could see. Technically the Elixir will charge lithium batteries, just not very well.

Are you using it with lifepo4 batteries Sam?
Old 06-17-2024, 01:30 PM   #12
sam

Default converter

I have an interstate lead acid battery in our HiLo. We don't Boondock.
Old 06-17-2024, 02:37 PM   #13
Site Team

And, Shaihulud - I DO have LiFePO4 batteries now (as you probably know) and my PD converter works well with them.

I would not trust any converter not specifically designed foe LiFePO4 batteries to work with them. Yes the charging algorithm is different and that DOES make it "not work very well", but LiFePO4 batteries have very low internal resistance and that means they can draw excessive current that overloads the charger. This would probably just blow the charging fuses in the Elixir, but it wouldn't work.

Surely, Best Converter could tell you if the one they recommend would work with LiFePO4 batteries?

- Jack
Old 06-22-2024, 09:42 AM   #14

I called Best Converter and spoke with Randy. He said that the BD 1245PC has a switch on the board to switch charging modes for lithium. So, I ordered it a couple of days ago. Waiting for it to come in.
Old 06-22-2024, 08:42 PM   #15
sam

Default Installing your converter.

When I ordered from them it came fast and in EC. Should you have any questions during the install just call Randy.