Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 09-17-2023, 02:15 PM   #1

Default Aluminum roof availability?

Hello all, I am new to the high low trailer bunch and my buddy and I each picked one up, is a 1990, and mine 1989. I have an aluminum roof and he had dry rot in his roof which was a rubber membrane. Is there a way to get a hold of the metal roof to retrofit his unit with the same aluminum roof I have? We both have the fun Chaser 24 units. The membrane replacement is kicking our butt and if we can locate aluminum and it's not got awful expensive, maybe worth going that route instead of messing with this rubber. Anyone have any ideas?

Arrowthwr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 11:28 AM   #2

Found option for replacement. It would be about 1700.00 for the supplies if I install myself. We will attempt another membrane install. My buddy messed it up doing it alone! 500 dollar mistake!

Arrowthwr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 08:10 PM   #3
sam

Default Roof repairs/replacement.

My first HiLo had a rubber roof. Just caught the start of a leak. Used a 25ft. patch kit. The HiLo i have now has a metal roof. I prefer the rubber roof. I am sure you tube has a tutorial on how to replace a rubber roof. Best of luck with your repairs.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 10:13 AM   #4

Default Roof overlay

Hey gang, this is Rob from JandR Trailer Repair.... saw this post and had to put this up. Don't waste your money on all that rubber roofing crap... and I say that lightly.

Jim and I did so many roof overlays at the shop and saved people thousands. Anyone who is handy can do this... it is a lot of work, but you will thank yourself and your wallet will still be full after doing this. We never had one come back.

The product is called Peel N Seal and here is a link :

https://www.mfmbp.com/peel-seal

This is 36" wide and comes in a really nice textured white so it will look original once you do a 3 pass install.... one down each side overhanging the edge for you to put under your trim and then the final, center pass that will overlap both side pieces about 5 to 6 inches so you have a really nice seal. This is an asphalt based seal, so when it is out in the sun, it will set up for life! I know this will help you out and you can get this done for probably $400 or right in that neighborhood. Best of luck and I hope you decide to try this out!

Rob
signman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 10:31 AM   #5
Site Team

Rob, thanks for that post! Peel N Seal looks a good roofing product, even to cover aluminum roofs that have the pin holes from galvanic corrosion. I'd certainly try it, and I'm 82 years old!

Question though, if you have a rotted rubber roof like the OP's friend, do you remove the old roofing cover before applying the Peel N Seal? I would guess that you do, but would like to confirm this.

- Jack
Old 09-28-2023, 02:45 PM   #6

In the case of any rot etc, yes, pull that all away and get a good surface. The next best thing would be to apply new 1/8" luaun plywood over the existing to give a nice smooth and flat area to apply the Peel n Seal to. I would even say for an abundance of caution that a person could coat the plywood, but it isn't necessary as the Peel n Seal will seal off everything. Jim and I did rubber roof overlays as well as aluminum.

The key is to make what ever surface you are applying this to as clean and solid as possible and then apply the Peel n Seal to it.

I understand why Hi Lo only used rubber roofs for about two years as they wanted to follow the industry trend, but then found out that they brought more problems and were more costly to repair and maintain, so they went back to the aluminum. You mentioned the galvanic corrosion and that is why Jim and I started using the Peal n Seal in the first place in order to give our customers an affordable alternative to having us remove their roof and re laminate new aluminum...... hope all this helps someone out!!!
signman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 02:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Thanks, Rob - I'm gong to "stick" this thread, because it has a wealth of information.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:43 PM   #8

Hey, thanks for the tip. What primer is required before placing the peel and seal over an aluminum roof? Some of the approved asphalt primers I saw for this material said not to use over or in contact with silicone, plastic, etc. Is a primer required for an aluminum roof? If so, which would one is rv safe? Thanks!

jarrodray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, retrofit, roof, rubber