Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 09-15-2016, 04:03 PM   #1

Default major repairs day 1

I'm starting with the roof. There are holes in the aluminum along the sides that has allowed water in to run down the inside walls. Figure fixing the problem needs to be done first, then I can move on to the damage the leaking did. After the roof, I'll be seperating the 2 halves, ripping out the entire bathroom (including roof), moving the toilet over like another member did (knees hitting the bathroom "door" while your on the toilet isn't fun). I also need to replace all the wood along the bottom edges of the top (only back and part of one side is rotten, but I'm going to do it all while I have it up), take out and reseal the windowns, and replace the seal between the top and bottom. I will also be inspecting the cables and replacing if needed.

Here's pictures of the roof/damage. The top is actually in really good condition still, just going to clean it well and remove all the caulk the previous owner put on before sealing (and recaulking where needed).

And here's the bottom back corner - where the wood beam has completely rotted, and the aluminum that holds the rubber seal got caught the last time I raised it, and pulled the whole part down.

maidencomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidencomfort View Post
I'm starting with the roof. There are holes in the aluminum along the sides that has allowed water in to run down the inside walls. Figure fixing the problem needs to be done first, then I can move on to the damage the leaking did. After the roof, I'll be seperating the 2 halves, ripping out the entire bathroom (including roof), moving the toilet over like another member did (knees hitting the bathroom "door" while your on the toilet isn't fun). I also need to replace all the wood along the bottom edges of the top (only back and part of one side is rotten, but I'm going to do it all while I have it up), take out and reseal the windowns, and replace the seal between the top and bottom. I will also be inspecting the cables and replacing if needed.

Here's pictures of the roof/damage. The top is actually in really good condition still, just going to clean it well and remove all the caulk the previous owner put on before sealing (and recaulking where needed).

And here's the bottom back corner - where the wood beam has completely rotted, and the aluminum that holds the rubber seal got caught the last time I raised it, and pulled the whole part down.

Gosh, some people have all the fun! But you can keep that kind of fun! Sounds like you will have your hands full for awhile. Good Luck!

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:54 PM   #3
sam

Default Best of luck with your repairs

Just wanted to say you have a good game plan. Post often and we will help in any way we can. This is a cooler temperature to do repairs.
sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:31 PM   #4

It will be right about 90 for the high temp for the next week or so... Not a whole lot cooler, but it doesn't stay that hot for long anymore, so more time that we can actually work!
Old 09-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #5

The roof is almost finished. Just need to put one more coat of sealer on, and put the trim on, and put the fan and escape hatch back in. There were SO many holes, and I was suprised at how big some of them were.

And it complete except for the 2nd coat and putting things back on

Old 09-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #6

Roof looks good
ltblueblzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #7

Agreed, looks really nice

Also in the garage, some stuff to pull it:
1999 3/4 ton 'Burb
1993 Roadmaster wagon (well, it probably won't pull it)
r67northern is offline   Reply With Quote