Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 08-26-2021, 12:22 AM   #1

Default Skeletal framework, RF wall sag

Hi All,
So I've searched these forums for quite a while and just can't seem to find much in the way of pics of the steel framework exposed. If available, would love to see pics or drawings of the sidewalls of the lower and the upper sections, too. There have got to folks out there who've performed restorations or repairs with detailed photos of the square tubing frame.
Why? My '95 23FLL has a sagging curbside front quadrant. It's affecting the lower section's entry door, as the doorway becomes out of square when the trailer's lowered. Upon raising, the weight from the upper section on the RF wall causes it to bow, bringing the doorway partially back into square. It's wild; you can actually watch the RF front section and doorway move substantially while running it up/down-up/down-repeat the first few inches! It didn't do this when it was newer and it's getting worse. Someone else had a similar issue with a '92 22-footer when using his stabilizers. The RF quadrant/wall is prone to deflect more from the way it's designed.
The chassis/ladder frame is solid, as Jack once pointed out. I think the problem is the 1/2" wafer-board floor, aging and flexing at its very outer perimeter edge as the RF wall is loaded/unloaded. The floor panel appears to reach an inch or so outward beyond the extended frame support arms. I think this small distance might be enough to allow it to flex (there are also ~1/8" deep depressions in the underside of the wood from pressure of the support arms, contributing to the sag). I'd like to see how the framework is laid out there, where the load-bearing frame members meet the floor, and if there are welds that might be broken. I've partially disassembled things to see it better, but don't want to remove paneling. I'll followup with pictures and drawings later, when I'm surer that I know what I'm talking about
Also, does anyone know the actual weight of the entire upper half? I was thinking maybe 700-800 lbs on a 23' unit, give or take? Of course it depends what's on top (A/C, solar, etc.). I realize the lower section walls, where the cables run and with the top section raised with cables in-tension, bear a force load that's equal to twice the weight of the top.
I appreciate anyone's interest and comments!
Clearsky is offline   Reply With Quote