Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Forum Support | Suggestion Box and News Announcements, forum news, account help and member suggestions.

Old 07-14-2023, 01:08 PM   #1

Default Broken window cover

Hello. I have a 2008 TowLite15T HiLo. The protective outside cover for the front window has cracked and can no longer be secured by two of the rivets that hold it down. In the past, I've tried to remedy this issue with various epoxies, but now it has completely broken free at these two corner rivet points. I can't think of any way to solve this problem other than by replacing the entire cover. Where can I find one? It measures 64"x29".
Thanks, Jerry

goyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 03:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Jerry - You may be able to find a cover on the ebay site that the former owner of J&R repair has active. He has a few things that are specific to HiLos available there. I've tried to find his listings with a quick search, but didn't succeed - however, I know it's there.

But, I suspect you CAN repair the one you have! From your description of the problem, yours is broken on the edges where the props connect that hold it open, and not at the piano hinge at the top. Here is a link to to the subject of plastic welding, which you can do with a simple soldering iron or gun: You can melt a piece of HDPE (plastic) to the area that is broken, and then reinforce it with metal screen which you can drill for the mounting screws. Look through the whole video, and, there are others I've found that might seem more applicable. My plastic Folgers coffee can is made of HDPE and he uses zip ties in the video for extra plastic. You can also buy HDPE online in sheets, but I suspect you can find many things around the house that are made of HDPE.

I'm going to repair the mounting tabs on my car's bumper cover using this technique. With metal (window) screen melted in to the repaired area, it should be stronger than the original. Essentially, I'll be doing what is shown in this other video, which may be closer to what you need to do: He uses a "plastic welder", but a soldering gun works too.

- Jack

Old 07-14-2023, 04:21 PM   #3

Hello Jack. Thank you very much for your detailed response. Actually, the cracks are at the top on the final two connection points of the piano hinge. I'll take a look at the videos that you kindly sent and see if I can repair the cover. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks again, Jerry
Old 07-14-2023, 04:31 PM   #4

Do you know what that cover is made of? Is it a thin plastic or plexiglass of some sort? I wonder if this technique will work on that thin cover or just turn it into a mushy mess?
Old 07-14-2023, 04:44 PM   #5
Site Team

Jerry, I THINK the cover is ABS, or, it MAY be HDPE. It isn't flexible like LDPE and it does not sun yellow like PVC. At any rate, it is not particularly different from the plastic bumper covers that you see on cars now. I'm very sure it is not plexiglass or fiberglass. However, fiberglass repair kits seem to work on it, and ABS cement adheres to it.

The fact that it develops cracks so easily tells me there is no reinforcing fiber in it.

Just touch a part of it gently with a soldering iron to get a feel of how quickly it melts. Once you understand that, I think you're off to the races! And, I really like the idea of reinforcing high stress areas with wire screen.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 07:39 AM   #6

Thanks again, Jack! I'll keep you posted.

Jerry
Old 07-21-2023, 08:56 AM   #7

Check with this company for a cover. https://www.duoformplastics.com/ They actually built the end caps for HiLo and probably made the shower pan as well. They have a complete line of RV aftermarket parts. If you decide on repairing. I'm having some luck with using drywall fiberglass tape over cracked areas and then coating that with the Marine-Tex epoxy others have recommended. I've attached an image of the rear cap label from our 2008 22T for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear end cap label.jpg (186.1 KB, 4 views)
Handyman85083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 03:48 PM   #8

Thanks a lot!
Old 09-09-2023, 10:34 PM   #9

Here is how I reinforced my front window cover. I didn't sand the epoxy smooth because I wanted to keep it as thick as possible for strength and it is only seen when the window cover is up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hi-Lo25.jpg (73.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Hi-Lo26.jpg (91.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Hi-Lo27.jpg (129.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Hi-Lo29.jpg (110.7 KB, 5 views)

Handyman85083 is offline   Reply With Quote