Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Forum Support | Suggestion Box and News Announcements, forum news, account help and member suggestions.

Old 09-13-2023, 06:56 PM   #1

Default raising in the garage

Just got a 2006 27T. Going to store in garage. It fits. The ceiling of our garage is 112 inches, and my camper is about 116 inches raised with A/C. I may want to open in the garage to work on it, but would have to not open all the way. Was wondering if this will hurt anything.

comperemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 11:13 PM   #2

Hello Comperemom,
I measured and cut 4 pieces of 2X4 to the height of how far I could lift my HiLo inside my garage to work on, and placed them upright on the outriggers (the frame) to the upper halve at each corner. That will relieve the pressure/stress on the hydraulic system from your HiLo possibly not being fully extended where the safety bar is probably not engaged.

Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 06:52 AM   #3

Did you place the 2x4's on the outside, from the ground to the bottom of the upper half, or on the inside, from the top of the lower half to the ceiling?
Old 09-14-2023, 09:34 AM   #4
Site Team

Not on the inside! That would probably damage the ceiling! On the outside, from the ground or, as Angel said, from the "outriggers" (the metal things the top rests upon when it's down) to the outside lower edge of the top.

- Jack
Old 09-14-2023, 08:56 PM   #5

Got it. Thanks all!
Old 09-21-2023, 09:56 PM   #6

I just purchased a 28ft, I didn't realize, that when it's down it;s supposed to rest on the bars sticking out. How do you get it all the wat down?
Giff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 10:23 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giff View Post
I just purchased a 28ft, I didn't realize, that when it's down it;s supposed to rest on the bars sticking out. How do you get it all the wat down?
That IS "all the way down". If it went lower, the inside of the top would hit things in the bottom half and be damaged. It would also not be supported properly for travel and the top would receive further damage. We call those "bars", "outriggers".

- Jack
Old 02-17-2024, 06:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giff View Post
If your top half is not going all the way down to the outriggers, your cables are too short (to tight.)
You may be able to adjust them longer (or the top lower) by the adjustment bolts on the frame between (or near) the axles on the left (driver’s) side.
If you have 4 lifting cables there will be 4 bolts that you need to loosen to have the top go lower.
(I think I said that right, you tighten the bolts to raise a corner (or cable) so loosening them should allow the top to lower farther.)

Hopefully someone will correct me if I said it wrong.
Old 02-17-2024, 11:24 PM   #9
sam

Default Fitting in the garage.

Some have let air out of the tires to have it fit in their garage. I don't have a garage. We store it on a piece of property with the Proper RV cover on it. We had to let some air out of the tires to replace a tire. Bad engineering goof.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote

« Roof Repair | - »