Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 03-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #1

Default Also new to HiLo campers

Just retired last year and Im a bit confused. First of all I read that HiLo went out of business in 2011. did they make a comeback. I will be looking for a Travel Trailer and a Used Truck. Presently Im on a fact finding Mission. Like best Insurance co. to deal with, Camper Travel Tailer to consider purchasing. lately the complaints Ive read is discouraging. I know you cant please everyone, So you guys with the knowledge I would appreciate you sharing some with me....

Thanks
Lotbb1
Lake Wales, Florida

lotbb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Default Just there

Lotbb1, Welcome to the forum!!! I swear, we just passed thru Lake Wales a few hours ago! We did a maiden outing at lake Kissimmee. There was no internet or cell service there, otherwise I could have chatted with you about anything Hi Lo. And, of course, seen a Hi Lo in action. We also spoke with a Trail Manor owner and my outcome was, I'll stick with the Hi Lo brand.
A Hi Lo trailer does cause a bit of a stir wherever it goes. Nothing like them. Sure there are some problems, but these problems are certainly not just in Hi LOs, every camper has their share of problems. And just like all the others, the owner must work out the kinks. Called sweat equity. Maintenance must be done routinely, watch out for weird things and correct them ASAP. Preventative maintenance is best. If you know one of your tires isn't right - replace them all, if need be. In the name of safety.
On this forum, you'll find the answers to almost anything that has ever happened to a Hi Lo and how to repair it, when to get professional help, and even the some "mods" that make the Hi Los better!
On this trip, I discovered that the refrigerator fan is TOO noisy, so I'll soon be installing the "Sushidog Mod" to silence the system. The main thing particular to Hi Los is the hydraulic/cable system. Several forum members have completed this repair and the info is on this forum.
Please, if you have questions, this is the place to ask. Many of us started with a tent, then pop-ups, then full campers and some had pushers, but most of us here own Hi Los.
Again welcome to the Forum and please know that we'll be returning to Lake Kissimmee!
Treeclimber

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #3

Default Thank you for your kind response.

We used to have a32 ft. Years ago. Permanently in campground in conneaut, Ohio. But wife and I want to hit the road, and see America. Need all the info from you veterans I can get. The excitement I feel I haven't felt in a long time, and it exhilarating to say the least. Thanks for your quick response, and have a safe trip Treeclimber!

Lotbb1
lotbb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #4
Site Team

Just sorry we missed you! Keep looking, if it's right, it'll happen!
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 03-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
sam

Default Welcome to the forum!!

Treeclimber gave you an excelant sumary. Just about all the parts are generic and can be purchased on the net or your local RV store. Spend some time reading back posts. You should be able to pick up a used HiLo. Some owners wait until spring to sell. Pick an RV length that will fit into the types of RV parks you will be staying in. Best of luck in your RV and Truck search.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:17 PM   #6

Hey Tree,

Access your fridge fan, peel back the round paper label on top of it. You will find a small rubber plug in the middle of it. Pop it off, add lubricant in hole, and pop the plug back in. (This was the way my fan was made). This will quiet the fan down and postpone the fan replacement.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:44 AM   #7
Site Team

Thanks, camper. I did the mod on my 24' er and it made all the difference in the world for the rest of the time I had that Hi Lo and at $14 for 4 new fans on Amazon I'm just going to do the Sushidog mod and never worry again. We were at Lake Kissimmee this weekend and it was sooooo quiet that all I could hear at night was that fan, even outside. The ranger was amazed at the Hi Lo and said they are rare, and they cause quite a stir. People just can't believe they don't still make them.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 03-22-2016, 06:45 AM   #8
Site Team

Follow up: Did the Sushidog mod, this time it only took about 2hrs. Used three fans and directed the air flow up and under the fins then thru the fans. Turned on the refer, waited about an hour for the fans to come on and wa-la 132 cfm out the vent. So quiet, almost had to use a stethoscope to hear them! Purchase info available upon request.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 03-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #9

Treeclimber: can you send me the purchase info for the Sushidog mod, Thanks in advance

Thanks
Chuck
ltblueblzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:31 AM   #10
Site Team

Default refer fam mod

Itblueblzr, Here's the fans I bought. We joined Amazon Prime and do a lot of buying because of 2 day free shipping. There is about 100 pages of RV interior items and the same for exterior. Much of what I get for the Hi Lo comes from Amazon. I used three of the four fans for my 24'er and 2 days ago, I used the same number of this 27'er. My sprite was frozen in less than 24hrs. So I keep the refer on 2 or 3 max. This mod works! As you can see by the specs, very little amp draw. Oddly, I checked with a volt meter, all the interior LED lights on and the fan mod in action, and only about .64 volts was being used!
We stay at parks with power, but these mods allow for boondocking.
I simple separated the wires from the thermostat near the fan, spliced the red wires and "tinned" them then joined them to the red wire from the thermostat and the same for the black wires to (In my 27'er) the blue wire (ground). Turned on the refer, and about 2hrs later the fans turned on (think silent wind!). I cleaned the "100 screw panel" and trailer sides, re-butyl taped the panel and re-installed it, Hi Lo does NOT seal the bottom of that panel, to allow for drainage. Worked like a charm.
Tree
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sushi info.jpg (185.9 KB, 5 views)

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC