Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 07-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #1

Default Hey Ya'll! I live in MO. New to this site & I can see it is

I've found a 1968 Hi-Low 15' for sale, for $500.00
It has been sitting for 15 years. She said it was in excellent shape when they parked it behind the barn. My question is: Is this a good price? & what do I need to look for besides mice. She said I need to bring a battery to raise it up, also needs tires. I saw in the manuel on here that it takes 75 X 14? what does that mean & where do I get them? I know the 14 is 14" tires, but shouldn't there be another # besides the 75? Help please, I'm a widow & do not know a lot of what to look for. If these are dumb questions, forgive me, I have to go look at it in the morning to buy & put on tires. She said there's several ppl besides me wanting it, but I was the first caller so she's giving me first dibs. Thanks in advance.

DaynaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaynaJ View Post
I've found a 1968 Hi-Low 15' for sale, for $500.00
It has been sitting for 15 years. She said it was in excellent shape when they parked it behind the barn. My question is: Is this a good price? & what do I need to look for besides mice. She said I need to bring a battery to raise it up, also needs tires. I saw in the manuel on here that it takes 75 X 14? what does that mean & where do I get them? I know the 14 is 14" tires, but shouldn't there be another # besides the 75? Help please, I'm a widow & do not know a lot of what to look for. If these are dumb questions, forgive me, I have to go look at it in the morning to buy & put on tires. She said there's several ppl besides me wanting it, but I was the first caller so she's giving me first dibs. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum! Print this out and take it with you. These are the major things to lookout for when buying a trailer.

This was taken from NDgent's post here on the forum. It is a great go-by list. You can do a search of "thinking about buying" and find his post to read it first hand.

Basically, start with the visual items –
1. Exterior
• Look for water stains and discoloration on inside walls and around ceiling anywhere vents, skylights, windows, etc. exist.
• Push and prod with your hand on the inside walls for soft spots (which could indicate a water leak and a damaged or rotten interior wall).
• Check for bubbles in the wallpaper (a sign of delimitation or water intrusion)
2. Interior cleanliness of the unit-
• Look for water stains and discoloration on inside walls and around ceiling anywhere vents, skylights, windows, etc. exist.
• Push and prod with your hand on the inside walls for soft spots (which could indicate a water leak and a damaged or rotten interior wall).
• Check for bubbles in the wallpaper (a sign of delimitation or water intrusion)
3. Test appliance functions –
• lights
• fans
• refrigerator
• air conditioner
• heater
• water pump
• range hood
• stovetop
• oven (if equipped)
• microwave (if equipped)
• stereo (if equipped)
4. Lift System-
• Does the unit raise and lower properly
• Check the lift system for hydraulic leaks (puddle under the trailer)
• Check the lift cables to see if they are in good shape and not frayed
• Check the seal between the upper and lower body halves for tears or damage
5. fill the tanks to the top and check for leaks
6. Battery
7. Solar Panel (if equipped)

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #3

Default Thanks for the info to check, but

I got there & it had been sitting for 15 years, it was full of mice n rats. The smell knocked me down when I opened the bottom door, I didn't look any further. I'm a widow & not ready to tackle that job by myself---so--I'm still looking if anyone knows where one is that's not to high??
DaynaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:19 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

They are out there. Check out the links below. Good luck.

Hi--Lo RVs and Motorhomes For Sale - RV Trader

Hi Lo RVs & Motorhomes for Sale | Used Motorhomes & RVs on Oodle Marketplace
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote