Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 07-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #1

Default Hi-Lo in New Mexico

My husband and I decided to to start looking for either a Trailmanor or Hi-Lo and were lucky enough to find a 2001 27 ft Classic in pretty good shape. Now it's time to dive into the world of Hi-Lo and learn as much as we can about maintaining, repairing, enjoying the Hi-Lo. So feel free to share any tips. I'm sure I'll be on here a lot reading through a bunch of the older treads.

Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
My husband and I decided to to start looking for either a Trailmanor or Hi-Lo and were lucky enough to find a 2001 27 ft Classic in pretty good shape. Now it's time to dive into the world of Hi-Lo and learn as much as we can about maintaining, repairing, enjoying the Hi-Lo. So feel free to share any tips. I'm sure I'll be on here a lot reading through a bunch of the older treads.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. We might be a little biased here on the forum, but I think you made the correct decision on Hi-Lo vs. Trailmanor. Our 2005 27T has just about every option that was available and we really enjoy the unit.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #3
sam

Default Welcome to the forum.

You have made a wise choice in getting a HiLo. Just curious as to what is your tow vehicle. Yes,spend lots of time reading back posts for maintenance tips. The how to operate videos are very good. We are here if you have any questions.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #4

Welcome the the forum, it's a great bunch of people and information. Learn all you can because where ever your HiLo takes you, folks will have curiosity and interest in it. We're headed to ABQ later this summer with ours to get tamales from El Modelo. Happy camping!!
underpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
You have made a wise choice in getting a HiLo. Just curious as to what is your tow vehicle. Yes,spend lots of time reading back posts for maintenance tips. The how to operate videos are very good. We are here if you have any questions.
We tow it with my husband's F150. I appreciate the help. First thing we've got to do is re do all the caulking. The New Mexico sun and dry air has dried it all out.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpsi View Post
Welcome the the forum, it's a great bunch of people and information. Learn all you can because where ever your HiLo takes you, folks will have curiosity and interest in it. We're headed to ABQ later this summer with ours to get tamales from El Modelo. Happy camping!!
I've found that to be true already. BTW, you should eat at La Salita while you are in ABQ. It's a small family owned Mexican joint and it is the best. You will love it.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:31 PM   #7
sam

Default Caulk recommendation

Go to Ace hardware or on line to get Lexal caulk. It costs about $8.00 a tube. Well worth the cost. Do not use silicone. Use Dicor lap seal around the AC unit/vents on your roof.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Go to Ace hardware or on line to get Lexal caulk. It costs about $8.00 a tube. Well worth the cost. Do not use silicone. Use Dicor lap seal around the AC unit/vents on your roof.
I'll go to Ace next week and pick it up. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2016, 09:35 PM   #9
sam

Default Where to get Dicor lap sealant.

Get this at your local RV store or on the internet. If I remember correcty Lexal comes in clear or white. Tomorrow DH is going to Tip the HiLo in many contortions until he gets all the cables lubed with break free. He says it takes him about 45minutes to do this. It is done once a year. Cheaper than having to replace the cables. We purchase break Free in the gun section at Walmart. It is a cleaner,lubricant and protector.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Get this at your local RV store or on the internet. If I remember correcty Lexal comes in clear or white. Tomorrow DH is going to Tip the HiLo in many contortions until he gets all the cables lubed with break free. He says it takes him about 45minutes to do this. It is done once a year. Cheaper than having to replace the cables. We purchase break Free in the gun section at Walmart. It is a cleaner,lubricant and protector.
Thank you. I am making a list of all the things I need Hubs to pick up from the store.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:40 AM   #11

I wiped everything down and was pleasantly surprised by how clean it was. Hubs and I will be working on it all weekend getting it ready for our first outing. Expect tons of questions to follow...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (174.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #12
sam

Default Getting ready for your maiden voyage.

Camp close to home and or a Walmart in case you forget anything. Keep a small notebook to write down what you forgot. What I love about my HiLo is the small amt. of time it takes to do house keeping.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:36 PM   #13

We are towing it with a 2014 Ford F-150 with the heavy duty towing package. 5.0 gas engine.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:50 AM   #14

Yes, it was very quick and easy to clean from top to bottom. Good tip of the notepad. Thanks. We are planning on going out for a test run at a park about an hour from home this coming weekend if we can get the registration taken care of by then. The guy we bought it from had owned it for a year and never registered it. So now we are dealing with a big headache.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Yes, it was very quick and easy to clean from top to bottom. Good tip of the notepad. Thanks. We are planning on going out for a test run at a park about an hour from home this coming weekend if we can get the registration taken care of by then. The guy we bought it from had owned it for a year and never registered it. So now we are dealing with a big headache.
Been there, done that. When we bought our first used Hi Lo the previous owner did not register it correctly and California DMV said $600 + was due for previous years. However, I was lucky and I did not have to pay the back years registration.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Old 07-25-2016, 11:02 AM   #16

my husband finally got it registered but boy was it a headache. It looks like we will finally get to take it out camping this weekend!
Old 07-25-2016, 11:43 AM   #17

Quote:
my husband finally got it registered but boy was it a headache. It looks like we will finally get to take it out camping this weekend!
Have a great campout!
1999 21T Tow Lite
Old 07-27-2016, 03:20 AM   #18

Quote:
We are towing it with a 2014 Ford F-150 with the heavy duty towing package. 5.0 gas engine.
We also tow with at 2014 F150 5.0 liter and 3.55 rear end but with the standard tow package and a weight distributing hitch. Except for feeling a few random bumps in the road, I find myself checking mirrors to be sure the trailer is still back there! Have fun on the maiden voyage.

underpsi is offline   Reply With Quote