Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 06-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #1

Default KC Newbie looking for advice and info

Looked at a 1987 24' Classic model?? couple of days ago. Wife to see it tomorrow. Stored inside last 2-3 yrs. Seller has had it for 6 yrs. Roof has been resealed, he tore it out and installed terrific looking all new ceiling. Fridge doesn't work, he's not sure why. Dometic RM2400 unit. Worth exploring repair, or do I just figure on replacing it??
Where do I find the list of things to watch for when buying a used HiLo?? Saw a reference on another thread here.
Will be pulling with a '93 Dakota 4x2 Club Cab. 5000# hitch, 5.2L (318ci) V8 engine, auto trans w/cooler. Seller throwing in a wt distributing hitch. Have cked into installation of brake controller, sway control, and getting hitch set up professionally. (I have a 20' pontoon now, also an old popup camper we're getting rid of. Do have an old 1977 22' Cree travel trailer I've never had need to pull as I bought it from a neighbor of ours near our lake lot.) Anyone anticipate any problems of the Dakota handling a 24' HiLo??? Basically "local" towing in MO, nothing in mountains, or long distance planned.
Anything specific I need to watch for, or be super aware of??? Really appreciate any comments or opinions. Thanks & we'll see if we can get this deal done.

Dave5275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #2

Default Dave

I'm even newer than you but can offer what I've got and done ...

I recently purchased a 24 foot Hi-Lo, sticker says dry weight of 4035 (plus or minus, I forget). I've had no problem pulling it with a similar (many would say lesser) vehicle (V6 Honda Ridgeline).

I had a brake controller installed; the one the service manager used for himself. He felt strongly enough about this "cheaper" Hayes controller that's what I got. And of course they did have many other/ more expensive ones to offer.

My camper also came with the whole hitch stuff, heavy hitch with sway and leveling bars. I just recently removed the hitch and had forgotten just how heavy it was.

So far I haven't found anything wrong - excluding cosmetics. I'm a happy camper.

EDITED; HONDA RECOMMENDS USING A HIGHER OCTANE WHILE TOWING, WHICH I DID. YOU MAY CONSIDER THAT AS AN OPTION - IF IT FEELS UNDERPOWERED.

Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Welcome to the forum.

This was taken from NDgent's post here on the forum. It is a great go-by list. You can do a search of thinking about buying and find his post to read it first hand.

Basically, start with the visual items –
1. Exterior
• Look for water stains and discoloration on inside walls and around ceiling anywhere vents, skylights, windows, etc. exist.
• Push and prod with your hand on the inside walls for soft spots (which could indicate a water leak and a damaged or rotten interior wall).
• Check for bubbles in the wallpaper (a sign of delimitation or water intrusion)
2. Interior cleanliness of the unit-
• Look for water stains and discoloration on inside walls and around ceiling anywhere vents, skylights, windows, etc. exist.
• Push and prod with your hand on the inside walls for soft spots (which could indicate a water leak and a damaged or rotten interior wall).
• Check for bubbles in the wallpaper (a sign of delimitation or water intrusion)
3. Test appliance functions –
• lights
• fans
• refrigerator
• air conditioner
• heater
• water pump
• range hood
• stovetop
• oven (if equipped)
• microwave (if equipped)
• stereo (if equipped)
4. Lift System-
• Does the unit raise and lower properly
• Check the lift system for hydraulic leaks (puddle under the trailer)
• Check the lift cables to see if they are in good shape and not frayed
• Check the seal between the upper and lower body halves for tears or damage
5. fill the tanks to the top and check for leaks
6. Battery
7. Solar Panel (if equipped)
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5275 View Post
Will be pulling with a '93 Dakota 4x2 Club Cab. 5000# hitch, 5.2L (318ci) V8 engine, auto trans w/cooler. Seller throwing in a wt distributing hitch. Have cked into installation of brake controller, sway control, and getting hitch set up professionally. (I have a 20' pontoon now, also an old popup camper we're getting rid of. Do have an old 1977 22' Cree travel trailer I've never had need to pull as I bought it from a neighbor of ours near our lake lot.) Anyone anticipate any problems of the Dakota handling a 24' HiLo??? Basically "local" towing in MO, nothing in mountains, or long distance planned.
Anything specific I need to watch for, or be super aware of??? Really appreciate any comments or opinions. Thanks & we'll see if we can get this deal done.
It looks like you are doing all the right things to set up your truck. According to this site, Tow Ratings Database - Tow Vehicle Ratings | Camping Life Magazine your Dakota should have a max tow rating of 6900 lb, provided it has a 3.90 rear end. I think that your trailer will be less than that loaded.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
sam

Default Refrigerator repair

I am not an expert on ref. Might be my first choice to see if it is fixable. If not then a gas electric might run you about $800.00 plus tax. Some have installed electric dorm size ones if you will always have electric or a generator.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #6

Google "Dometic RM2400" and you will find the manual and a place that sells replacement cooling units for $400.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #7

Thumbs up Thank You from the KC New Guy

Thank You everyone for your thoughts, tips, suggestions, and info. I found NDgents list of things to check out and copied it into a Word doc that I can print and take with me when I go to reinspect this trailer tomorrow.
Man, lots of points to check out, but it needs to be done.
This trailer has been stored inside in one of the service bays of a transmission shop the Seller owns for the last 2-3 yrs. Appreciate it being inside, but I need to have him pull it out into the sunshine if my wife likes it & we actually get serious about doing the deal and making it ours.
Outside can ck the awning and better get underneath it. Better take a creeper as I want to ck the lift ram for condition and rust, condition of the gray and black tanks, etc.
Lots to check out. I'm happy with $2800 for what I've seen so far, but need to take some deep breaths and not get too excited till the important checks are done & satisfactory. Thanks to everyone again!! Let you all know after the weekend how this all ends up. Pics to follow if this is meant to be..
Dave5275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:59 AM   #8

Good Luck!
zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #9

Don't forget to check the tires for cracking on the sidewalls and between the tread. If they are more than five years old they are at risk for failure.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote