Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 02-26-2021, 11:49 PM   #1

Wink New kids in the campground

Hi all! We're Chris and Liz, but we'll be going by our screen names Fixit and Lizard. We just bought our first trailer a couple of months ago, a 1988 HiLo Funmaker. It's in really great condition, the only two owners didn't abuse or neglect it, so the normal problems like rot, rust, frozen parts, they're at a bare minimum. For a 33 year old trailer, it's in great shape! We love how all the parts folow the standard parts of the camping world.

I wish I could figure out how to post pictures in my album, but I can't find the upload button.

I look forward to posting here, we have lots of questions on how to best make upgrades, like the battery box, lights, wiring, painting, and all the other things. Since I'm a mechanic, I'll be happy to reply to questions about cars or trucks and repairs.

First question: How do I get a replacement VIN/ Federal Standard Info sticker? The one that has weight, tire, and limit info on it? Ours is faded and missing chunks, and the DMV warned that we need it to be on the road.

1988 HiLo Funmaker 2088L, an oldie and goody!
2001 Ford F-250 Pickup w/ 7.3 Diesel (best engine)
Proud Campers, ES, SAR, and Firefighter Rehab
FixitandLizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:55 PM   #2

Default Welcome to the forum.

Great introduction. You have joined a good forum with helpful advice. I agree the older HiLo,S are very sturdy. I had a 1990 25ft. Classic. We had water intrusion and we rebuilt some walls. Most important is to remove all windows and reseal with butyl tape and Lexel caulk on the outside.Utube has a tutorial on how to remove windows. Keep the questions coming and post often.

Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:45 AM   #3

Welcome, I need me a fixit, I got a sunbathing reptile of my own.

Have you already got the plates and the title switched. California is funny about things, (they banned a motorcycle of mine never to be registered in the state...)

I carry the registration, the federal info sticker on the side of the 76 is wasted. Sometimes there is a stamped vin on the tongue there was no federal standards until mid 80's so you could not have one. Grind/sand the tongue look for the vin? Get a State inspection? let us know what happens.. this is a normal question that almost needs its own section/state based threads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1670.jpg (160.8 KB, 9 views)
The Ohioian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:43 PM   #4

If you've got all the numbers, you can get a new sticker made by the guys at J & R in Mt. Vernon, OH. Or, that's where I got mine about 4 years ago.

Welcome to the group!
piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:13 PM   #5
Site Team

You'd probably only have to supply the VIN. I imagine J&R can determine the tire pressures and weight limits on their own. But, Grade C tires Max PSI is 55 psi, and you could get the tire sizes off your current tires. We MAY have a sales brochure in our library that lists the weights too, for your 1900 model.

Sounds like you have a title, and that will have the VIN.

Love your screen name!
Old 03-01-2021, 11:52 PM   #6

Thanks all. The good news is that I got the VIN in entirety. I haven't found the one stamped on the tongue; it may be under the propane stand, but I'm not cutting it off. I have it on the reg, the pink slip, and it's 90% visible on the ID sticker. The reg is now done, it's in Lizard's name, and everything is paid for.

No.... the DMV is even pickier. They want the words "this vehicle complies with federal regulations blah blah blah year 1988" on this sticker, and they say we have to pay a visit to our Highway Patrol to find it. Reason for this was that we wanted to apply for the Perm Trailer Reg where you don't have to pay annual dues if the trailer met the criteria; one being that it stated it meets federal standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjim View Post
If you've got all the numbers, you can get a new sticker made by the guys at J & R in Mt. Vernon, OH. Or, that's where I got mine about 4 years ago.
Might have to look into that. J&R in Mt. Vernon, eh?

1988 HiLo Funmaker 2088L, an oldie and goody!
2001 Ford F-250 Pickup w/ 7.3 Diesel (best engine)
Proud Campers, ES, SAR, and Firefighter Rehab
FixitandLizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:12 PM   #7

The information about pulling and resealing the windows is a must....I recommend using Quad Max Pro sealant. I have found that it is better and longer lasting the Butyl tape, flexes will with the trailer and does well in all weather temps....

2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Brianagee is offline   Reply With Quote