Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 07-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
kkr

Smile New member and help "could use some air"

I retired early and bought a 2005 hi lo 17 t in 2015. I logged about 6,000 miles with a go where I want trip from OH to Michigan, Minnesota, North and South Dakota, Arizona and Texas. I returned to OH and am now ready for another trip. My hi lo has no air conditioning, but it was available as an option so I assume I can add to the middle vent area.

Don't know if this model would use existing vents or can i just get a cheaper model to distribute cold air. from unit. Is weight an issue with rising and lowering top. Any help or suggestions welcomed.
Love my hi lo and survived on the kindness of strangers with little trouble and lots of fun.
kkr

kkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #2

It is designed to handle the weight. I would shop around as there are newer ac out there that are much more efficient and may be able to run on a 2000 watt generator. Also, with a 15 footer, you can likely get by with a smaller size unit than what many of us have. Some folks have even rigged up the "portable/mobile" type by building a cowling they can attach to a window and venting it that way.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:19 PM   #3

The ceiling vent openings are 14" x 14". This will accommodate any rv ac unit. You need to remove the ceiling trim ring to make sure the wiring is there for a ac unit. Also need to check for the electrical plug in cord. The ac units for HiLo are not hardwired in like regular trailers. Usually located in the bathroom wall next to a cabinet/wardrobe. My 29' had the cord in the bottom of an overhead cabinet. A 13,500 btu unit will do the job for you. Atwood made a quiet ac unit but I believe they were bought out by Dometic. Hope this helps.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
kkr

Bob and Rick
Thanks I will start researching.
Katie
kkr is offline   Reply With Quote