Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 09-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #1

Default Fuses

I have had my 84 Funlight about a week now and I am just getting into the inside wiring and lights. All I have found is a breaker box.. Are there fuses somewhere I am missing. I have heard a few talking about checking them

Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
I have had my 84 Funlight about a week now and I am just getting into the inside wiring and lights. All I have found is a breaker box.. Are there fuses somewhere I am missing. I have heard a few talking about checking them
When I had my 21T the fuse box was inside the storage bin of the dinette bench.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #3

Thank you for the info Gary. I am not sure if I have a storage bin where the dinette bench is but I will look all over that area. Also I noticed my outside light does not work most likely a bulb, however I noticed it was all sealed up with no screws...Any idea what is up with that?
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
Thank you for the info Gary. I am not sure if I have a storage bin where the dinette bench is but I will look all over that area. Also I noticed my outside light does not work most likely a bulb, however I noticed it was all sealed up with no screws...Any idea what is up with that?
Sounds like someone must have sealed it due to water. Most of the light covers can be removed with a gentle squeeze of the plastic. However, if the cover is really old it would be subject to cracking.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:41 PM   #5
sam

Default Where fuses are located

We have a fuse in our converter that is located under the sofa bed on the drivers side. It is a 1990 25ft. Classic.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:22 PM   #6

My 1997 has fuses for the trailer exterior lights (running, brake, reverse) all the way on the back wall under the bathroom sink. This is a terrible location for fuses!!!
If you are the least bit handy, then consider moving the fuses as close to the trailer/truck plug as you can get. In my instance the trailer wiring enters the cabin pretty close to the front, so I can relocate fuses there. Fuses can help if a wire is cut or shorted out or damaged and will blow before a fire happens or worse.
I had a tire blow up and take the trailer floor out and cut all the running light trailer wires. This happened before the fuses, so there was no fuses to blow and stop the electrical current. No fire, but the short melted the trailer wiring on my truck and also did something to my truck's left running light so it does not work.
Move your fuses if you can. Also, consider having fuses on your truck side for the trailer wiring.
Sorry, this does not help finding your camper cabin fuses, but is important.
Fuses should be as close to the power source as possible or practical.

EDIT: My other camper did not have fuses at all. I recommend adding fuses if yours does not, and moving them for sure.
marininn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:29 PM   #7
Site Team

What marininn said about fuses needing to be located as close as possible to the power source is VERY wise! Any portion of the circuit that is upstream of the fuse is unprotected.

And, Jman, fuses seem to be located all over the place in our trailers depending on the model year. I'm pretty sure they'll be in the lower half though. I think some people have found them near the battery. Mine are at the converter box.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:01 AM   #8

This is the first time I've ever heard of fuses for the exterior lights being located in any trailer. But I agree, if there are any they should be up front and accessible.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:55 PM   #9

After more digging I correct myself.
While the colors of the wires are the same as the trailer lights, the fuses at the rear are actually for the camper interior, not the running lights.
Apparently the designers wanted the wire going to the roof hidden at the back, so extended the 12DC to the rear. The fuses under the bathroom sink are for the camper.
There are no fuses for the running lights.