Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-25-2014, 10:03 PM   #241
sam

Default Parts for a HiLo

Today I got on the www.Midget RV and Trailer Service web site. Interesting,the classic front and back fiberglass ends sell for two thousand five hundred dollars each. They also carry fiberglass ends for the towlites. The ABS plastic just doesn't hold up(cracks). Part of our Reese sway control twisted. I called etrailer and she gave me the phone # for Reese. Great customer service even though we didn't make a purchase. Even went so far as to put the phone # on our email. Monday and Tuesday the weather is going to be 60 degrees then 70 degrees. Our plans our to wash the HiLo and dry it off. Maybe the wind will help. I have to put away a bushel of clothes ect. DH will winterize. Next the Sunbrella cover will go on. Hate to think of winter.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #242

Added a clock so I'll never be late for dinner and replaced some of the interior lights with LED bulbs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 019.jpg (88.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 020.jpg (83.9 KB, 39 views)

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
Added a clock so I'll never be late for dinner and replaced some of the interior lights with LED bulbs!
Looks good Greg. I replaced all of my interior lights with LEDS several months ago. If the time comes they need to be replaced I will use a softer LED. Nice and bright in the trailer, but the boss isn't too fond of the brightness.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
Looks good Greg. I replaced all of my interior lights with LEDS several months ago. If the time comes they need to be replaced I will use a softer LED. Nice and bright in the trailer, but the boss isn't too fond of the brightness.
I know what you mean about the brightness of the LED's, Garry. When we went camping at Shaver Lake, we met up with my brother-in-law and wife who had rented a class C motorhome. The rental was pretty much all LED interior lighting and it was a stark bright white. I didn't want that so took the advice of Les, one of our forum moderators, and bought these bulbs from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Green LongLife 5050107 LED Replacement Light Bulb Tower with 1156/1141 base 330 Lumens 12v or 24v Warm White: Automotive

They are pretty pricey but much warmer than the ones in the rental. They are a bit brighter and use about one seventh of the power that the incandescent bulbs use. I only replaced the lights that we use the most, due to price.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #245

The Weather guys were screaming that the temps were gonna get down to freezing in my area so I winterized yesterday. . Thanks to Youtube videos and whoever posted them, I was able to complete the task in less than 15 mins. Man, I hated to do it.. But I didn't/don't want to have to replace the plumbing.

Got the storage access door in so I was able to replace that also.. The hardest part was drilling the holes in the new frame. I do hope and believe that I will never lower before making sure that door is shut and locked in the future, maybe checking several times.

I also got new straps for the tipout thumblocks(?). The old ones were worn out and needd to be replaced. That took me about 10 minutes.

Now to cover it up for a long winters nap....until Feburary or sooner
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinn View Post
The Weather guys were screaming that the temps were gonna get down to freezing in my area so I winterized yesterday. . Thanks to Youtube videos and whoever posted them, I was able to complete the task in less than 15 mins. Man, I hated to do it.. But I didn't/don't want to have to replace the plumbing.

Got the storage access door in so I was able to replace that also.. The hardest part was drilling the holes in the new frame. I do hope and believe that I will never lower before making sure that door is shut and locked in the future, maybe checking several times.

I also got new straps for the tipout thumblocks(?). The old ones were worn out and needd to be replaced. That took me about 10 minutes.

Now to cover it up for a long winters nap....until Feburary or sooner
Several weeks ago I put the "Sleeping Beauty" to bed, but after reading some of the temps for Southern California, this past Saturday I pulled her out of her slumber and on Sunday we left for a three night camp out just east of Temecula, CA at "Dripping Springs" National Park Campground. Not sure why they call it Dripping Springs as it was dry as a bone, just as it was when we were there in April. Morning temps at 8 am in the trailer were 42 all three mornings, but daytime temps were very pleasant. More or less had the campground to ourselves, except our last two days when the Forest Service came in to cut down an old California Oak that had died. Crew had to leave this first day to respond to a fire, but were back today and took the tree down. Sad day to see a tree that was several hundred years old fall to the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3323.JPG (80.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3324.JPG (96.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3325.jpg (40.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3326.jpg (38.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3334.JPG (90.9 KB, 39 views)
1999 21T Tow Lite
Old 11-06-2014, 11:03 PM   #247
sam

Default a couple of problems

Old faithful is covered and sleeping for the winter. The last two trips out the fresh water tank seemed to fill slow and didn't fill all the way. We called our dealer Mantelli trailer sales and got advice from Steve Brandal in service. He recommended very gently blowing out the fill tube with compressed air. It can get an air lock and prevent water from getting in. The next problem was a mangled saddle on the sway control. Reese no longer makes this system. Steve is going to hunt in his supply of spare parts. Reese was good when we called for tech support. If parts aren't available then we have to replace all the tow parts. Steve doesn't think much of the Reese hitches made in China. Didn't ask him what brand he recommends. We have a husky hitch on now. It pays to have a consistent dealer for parts and service. DH thinks he made a sharp turn getting out of the campsite and this is how the part got bent.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #248

Just picked up my hi-lo from Midget's. They did some extensive work, and I have to say...I am impressed. I'll post some 'after' pics in my thread on track guide rail repair tomorrow (i had severe delamination fixed, which included several wall and ceiling panels)

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f25/...l-repair-4146/

But, wanted to post the full up rig...here i am on the way home...

Since Midget's is right down the road from the old hi-lo plant...thought I would take a shot of the old plant today....

2011 F150 Lariat w/tow package
specter1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #249

Nice looking rig- I like the matching rims!
Old 11-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #250
Site Team

AND, the hitch setup looks perfect! Level trailer, level truck.

- Jack
Old 11-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #251

Nice pictures of the old hi lo company blogs. I had read that a company that makes metal turning,had purchased the building. Does not look like it is being used. Your trailer looks great.
desert trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #252

darn auto spell....bldg and metal tubing Terry
desert trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #253

Default Replaced lock assy on hot water heater access door.

After spending 2 days on jiggling, cussing, pitching a hissy fit, I finally got the key to unlock the cotton picking door. This is the door right next to the fresh water inlet where you fill up the fresh water tank. I removed the lock assy and phoned the nearest rv center and they had one for ten bucks. I stopped at a Lowe's store and ask the key man if a new key might fix this problem and he told me that they had these locks in stock. Yes; and these locks are only $5.00 or a little less than that, so I bought one and replaced it. It was a perfect fit.
Lowe's is a good place to find odd hardware; they saved me a few gallons of diesel fuel and over 5 bucks!!
sayhonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #254

It was such a nice day yesterday that I just had to get some stuff put back into the UFO, Throw some stuff out that we weren't using or had too much of.

I had broken the wall plate for the cable hookup, I replaced that and even got some of the dirt transferred back outside.

Still needs a good cleaning before we go again the end of this month to another D.O.G.

Still need to get the electrical stuff taken care of but it is on my list.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #255

Default Spare Tire

Finally found a way to relocate my rear mounted spare tire. After installing the Class II hitch for a two bike rack I decided to mount the spare tire on the front axle. It's stationary and 2"x 2" square tube so it's perfect for mounting the tire
gmbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:59 AM   #256

Got her all cleaned up and restocked and even threw some things out her that we aren't going to use this trip, some ever again.

Ran some non slip in the upper cabinet for the dishes.. got tired of having to get a chair out to find a plate, I'm short.

Looking and debating about installing outdoor speakers. DH wants to hire someone to install said speakers since he doesn't know how. It can't be that hard
Old 04-02-2015, 10:13 PM   #257
sam

Default Raked leaves at our storage lot

DH took our daughter to her DR.apt. I elected to have my headphones on and my favourite music. It was 67degrees today with some wind. Then I raked up three contractor bags (42) gal full of leaves and some mud. Got a soaking wet foot and managed to fall in a snow bank. Then DH came to give me a ride home. He lubed all the locks with break free.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:21 PM   #258

Default What did you do to your HiLo Today?

Last October when returning from New Mexico I lost the tread on one tire just east of Tucson. When we finally made it home I told my wife I would replace all four tires this spring before we took our first trip. Today I pulled the trailer out to make the 10 mile trip to the tire shop to get four new tires and I had gotten about 3/4 of a mile home when I lost the tread on another tire. Luckily I was on surface streets and had not made it to the freeway. With a slight delay I finally have four new tires on the trailer, and the spare, which was new in October, now has about 10 miles wear.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Old 04-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
Last October when returning from New Mexico I lost the tread on one tire just east of Tucson. When we finally made it home I told my wife I would replace all four tires this spring before we took our first trip. Today I pulled the trailer out to make the 10 mile trip to the tire shop to get four new tires and I had gotten about 3/4 of a mile home when I lost the tread on another tire. Luckily I was on surface streets and had not made it to the freeway. With a slight delay I finally have four new tires on the trailer, and the spare, which was new in October, now has about 10 miles wear.
Glad you made it to the tire store safely, Garry! Just in time for your upcoming trip!

Safe travels,
Greg
Old 04-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #260
Site Team

Garry, just out of curiosity, what tires did you have that lost the tread, and, how many miles approximately and how old were they?

I've posted elsewhere in this forum how my OEM Goodyear Marathons suffered cord failure after only around 5,000 miles maybe and in the second year of service.

- Jack