Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Boondocking Discussions on dry camping

Old 03-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhonkmon View Post
I'd say steer clear of any electronics that are made in China. You are asking for trouble.

That's a funny one there!!

Luke 1:49
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #22

A low cost approach for LED lights is to use the ones that come on a flexible strip (about 16 ft for $11 on Amazon). They come with adhesive on the back and can be stuck onto a backer board. You can put as many as can fit on the backer board and your soldering/wiring skills allow. They need 12vdc power so are perfect for RV light replacement. I used some to replace a florescent ceiling light, but they could be used for the smaller flush mounted lights also. Unfortunately, I discovered them after I had bought the already made up ones mentioned earlier in this thread. I just soldered them directly to the wires feeding the florescent fixture. For the flush mounted lights, just clip the BA15s socket and solder them in there.
I have also used them in the house for under-the-counter lighting. Very effective and much lower cost than other lighting schemes.
camperD

camperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #23

I was very satisfied with the LED light bulbs as shown in the link.
http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/regi...b0c2c910a80be5
nepatoyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatoyhauler View Post
I was very satisfied with the LED light bulbs as shown in the link.
http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/regi...b0c2c910a80be5
Your link isn't working for LED lights. It is taking us back to you registration page. Would you like to try that again?
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #25

Amazon.com: LED 2W 12V White Omni Bulb BA15S 1156 P21W Brake Tail 18 5050 SM: Home Improvement
Old 01-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #26

These LED panels worked very well for me: Amazon.com: NEEWERŪ T10 36 SMD LED Light Festoon Dome Bulb Lamp White 12V: Home Improvement
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 01-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #27

These "bulbs" are a simple direct replacement of the original incandescent bulb and do not require any adaptations of an LED panel. They use the reflective qualities of the OEM fixture and no additional modificatins. Very simple and budget friendly modificaiton.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #28

Hi,

I ordered the bulbs yesterday.

Jim
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #29

Default Led

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
RichR,
I looked at the LED lights on your link. I'll tell you I've been ordering from Super Brights LED over past years. Your link sure does have them for a lot less. Thanks for the link. I'll order some as soon as Santa Claus gets finished with my budget. ha
God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa View Post
RichR,
I looked at the LED lights on your link. I'll tell you I've been ordering from Super Brights LED over past years. Your link sure does have them for a lot less. Thanks for the link. I'll order some as soon as Santa Claus gets finished with my budget. ha
God Bless
Papa
I did not mention that the bases that come with the panels do not fit the fixture sockets. You will need to take apart your existing bulb and save the base. Solder the new leads to the base and you are back in business. I also replaced the furnished double stick tape, because it becomes unstuck, with 3M picture hanging double stick tape squares. That little bit of work far outweighs the SuperBright prices.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #31

I just purchased more of the bulbs from my link above and put them in my landscape lights. This will be a good severe duty test in comparison to my travel trailer...
Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #32

Hi,
Ordered the LED's from amazon( ever sale) on 1/4 and they arrived yesterday via USPS. Simple plug in after wrestling the covers off the interior lights. They are brighter than the incandescent bulbs. I had spare socket in the auto electric supply drawer so I spliced it in and replaced the wedge bulb in the range vent fan also. Now to figure out something LED for the fluorescent fixture. That maybe a good place for the self adhesive strip like the amber ones I used to illuminate BluTaco's hood scoop.

Jim
Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #33

I am happy they worked for you. A friend of mine runs a fleet of trucks that delivers parts for an auto parts/RV supply company. The best price he can get for me through his company discount is about $40 per bulb. You cannot beat these at $4.99 per bulb...
Old 01-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #34

Quote:
Quote:
I did not mention that the bases that come with the panels do not fit the fixture sockets. You will need to take apart your existing bulb and save the base. Solder the new leads to the base and you are back in business. I also replaced the furnished double stick tape, because it becomes unstuck, with 3M picture hanging double stick tape squares. That little bit of work far outweighs the SuperBright prices.
Why not just take the socket off the frame and connect the pigtail that comes with the set to hook up the light... that way the socket is out of the way and replacement is still just a "plug and play" type deal.

... you do have a spare or two on hand in case one goes out...
davidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #35

The bulbs from Eversale are just plug and play. No double sided tape or other modifications, good bang for the buck.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #36

The bulbs certainly were easy-cheesy and taking the old incandescent ones out will they were on sure impresses the amount of energy turned to heat.

Now to decide what to do with the 12v fluorescent fixture. LED strip?

Jim
Old 05-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #37

Default reply

LED lights are also shatter proof and free from Mercury, making them much safer for home and the environment.
sunpialia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #38

For what it is worth, I recently bought the following bulbs on Amazon. I bought 2 as a test and was very pleased with the result. I am now buying more to replace all of the bulbs in my Towlite. They are plug replacement. Just remove the old bulb and plug it in.

BrightChoice LED BA15s - Warm White Color- Bayonet Base 36LEDs SMD Bulb - 2nd Generation with 36 LEDs - Replacement for #1156 1141 1073 1093 1129 93 -
Frank R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #39

Thanks for the information. I find it very helpful since l've been doing a lot of research in LEDs. Although they are quite expensive, they are $5 a bulb cheaper than the ones I was considering. Plus free shipping if you spend more than $25.

Will probable buy a few of them to try out as well. Once again, thanks for taking the time to post this information. Ken
Raiderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #40

I used these: Amazon.com: LED 2W 12V White Omni Bulb BA15S 1156 P21W Brake Tail 18 5050 SM: Home Improvement. They cost a bit less and work well.

Raul

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote