Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Boondocking Discussions on dry camping

Old 08-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #1

Default Will size 27 battery fit?

I'm looking at installing a Universal UB121000 battery in my well behind the tongue. It's a size 27. I have a 2006 hi lo 22T.

Two questions?

Has anyone put one of them in your tongue well? Although the height dimensions says 8.2 inches, it's actually 9.1 inches to the top of the terminal. I think that would barely fit, but thought I'd check first.

Also , it's rated fairly high for a deep cycle battary, but I can't find any CCA on it. So, will it have enough power to lift my trailer up?

Ken

Raiderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Raider, you normally don't have any problems with the height of a 27 battery. I'm pretty sure it's the same as a Group 24. But, the length, and possibly the width is larger. Measure the "floor space" in your battery compartment to see if it will fit. AND, add some kind of insulating material above the terminals to keep them from being shorted by the compartment lid.

You don't care about CCA. That's "Cold Cranking Amps" which is a rating for automobile starting batteries. You also don't care about the MCA rating either, unless you are starting boat motors. You DO care about "Reserve Capacity" (RC) or the "Amp Hour" (AH) rating. More is better for these two measures.

I don't think any Group 27 battery would have trouble raising the top of your trailer, as long as it is charged.

- Jack

Old 08-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #3

Thank you for helping me out.
Raiderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:14 PM   #4

There was one time I had a fully charged battery when I left couldn't raise the top when I arrived at the campsite. I found I could bring a spare and just route the terminal wires outside the box. Thinking about keeping this same idea for two 6 volt batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batt.jpg (189.4 KB, 7 views)
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
There was one time I had a fully charged battery when I left couldn't raise the top when I arrived at the campsite. I found I could bring a spare and just route the terminal wires outside the box. Thinking about keeping this same idea for two 6 volt batteries.
Just to clarify something - I believe you said the battery was fully charged when you left on your trip, but after traveling, the charge state had dropped to the point that it would no longer lift the top, right?

I had that happen too, when my battery charging fuse in the TV blew and I didn't know it. A day of driving with the trailer battery powering the refrigerator on its own will certainly take the battery down.

But, your method of getting power to the lift motor is a good one.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote