Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 07-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #1

Default HiLo weights (1992 18TD)

So I was looking at PDF's of the different models on the new HiLo site (http://www.hilotrailer.com/pdfs/1992-towlite.pdf) and noticed the weight for the 1992 18TD is listed as "Axle weight 1710" and "Hitch weight 190".

This kinda threw me off since it's not listing UVW.

Am I correct in assuming this means it actually weighs 1710+190=1900 lbs unloaded?

Why would it need 2 axles at this weight?

Attached pic is the spec section from the PDF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HiLo 18TD.JPG (82.0 KB, 6 views)

KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Probably doesn't need two axles, but if you look at the tire size: 13"; I think you'll find tires in that size would not support that weight on a single axle.

The newer 18ft Hi-Los came with 15", Load Range C tires, and they and the axle are rated to support 3500#. This is kinda ridiculous, since the Max Gross Weight of the trailers is above that.

- Jack

Old 07-12-2017, 11:39 PM   #3

How did I know you'd be the first to reply?

The smaller tire makes sense - 13"s are TINY - I have them on a small utility trailer and they are awful, load rated a few hundred pounds each (trailer max load is 1200 I think). Though I've certainly abused them past the rating (I know, I know, I'm a bad trailer-er).

Thanks for the perspective!
Old 07-13-2017, 07:45 AM   #4

Now you guys are getting me concerned! The tires on my 2176B are 14". But the tires on my "new" 2600TFB are only 13"? But no skirting to get in the way.

Doesn't make sense. They are a mixture of Maxxis & Goodyear, and I think at least most of them are only C rated. On my 2176B I did upgrade to regular High Pressure Tires (50# Max Pressure) several years ago. They were always tough to get off, but with leaf springs, so jacking on the frame or the Axle didn't matter.

Since my Trips are usually only 200 miles one-way, I suppose that wouldn't be a long enough travel to worry about the 13". Although, I'm fairly sure I load heavier than most, for two weeks, with extra Well Water, many chairs and Firewood too!
Navy Vietnam Vet
Bruce from Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnottyRig View Post
How did I know you'd be the first to reply?

The smaller tire makes sense - 13"s are TINY - I have them on a small utility trailer and they are awful, load rated a few hundred pounds each (trailer max load is 1200 I think). Though I've certainly abused them past the rating (I know, I know, I'm a bad trailer-er).

Thanks for the perspective!
I might be too much of a "know it all", but tires and trailer weight are two of the things I've researched a lot after the cord separation failures I had on my OEM tires with less than 5000 miles on them. I was shocked to learn the GVWR of my trailer was 3800# with 3500# max load tires installed! I was also astonished to learn my trailer's "empty" weight was around 3300# - much higher than the "stated weight" on the placard.

So, I treat my tires with great respect and obey the 65 MPH speed rating limit. Since upgrading to better tires, I've had no further problems.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #6

Yeesh, Jack! How much heavier was your trailer than it's published weight?

I'm a big fan of over-spec'ing things, especially trailer tires. It's very easy for them to get over loaded during a trip. On a 1600 mile haul I went through 4 tires on a 4-tire trailer (the trailer was properly loaded and balanced, and I took tire temps at every stop). Fortunately I carried 2 spares (seems like overkill, right?)

So with the C rated 13" tires, at max pressure, what's their load capacity?
Old 07-13-2017, 12:27 PM   #7
Site Team

Knotty, your question depends on the actual tire used. I'm posting a picture of a tire chart that Goodyear provides for their Marathon brand, and it seems to apply to other brands I've looked at.

From this, I'd say that 4 - 13" tires are overkill on the trailer you were talking about.

Perhaps the axle weight ratings on that trailer are much lower. I'm just guessing, naturally. But in trailer design, you ideally don't want to exceed 80% of the maximum ratings for safe use. (Forgotten where I learned this, but I've seen it in several places.)

The unloaded vehicle weight of my trailer with an empty fresh water tank was SUPPOSED to be 3001#. (That's from the placard that's installed inside showing all installed options.) But, when I weighed it in that state it was very close to 3500# (I stated the weight wrong earlier - blame it on my fading brain cells.) And, this is with less than 100# of personal items such as pots & pans, dishes, a few hand tools, two sleeping bags, and so on.

I've since added 12# of thin solar panels, a controller, larger tires, and a second battery.

- Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TireRatings.jpg (571.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #8

Jack, Just checked mine to be sure. The Spare is a Goodyear, only Load B & 35#,and there are no other Goodyears on it!

All are ST175/80R13s, 50psi on the ground. I have 1 Maxxis, 2 Tow Master, and 1 Heartland! One of the Tow Masters and the Heartland are on the Drivers side and evidently are fairly new because the knubs are still on the tires sidewalls.

But, looking at the GVWR of the "C" Load tires, they are only rated at 5440# total. The RV's GVWR is 5500#. This all per your chart above. So I suppose I should pick up at least a couple of higher rated new tires before September. Blast it!
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 07-13-2017, 06:20 PM   #9
sam

Default Buying new tires

Think of it as buying yourself a christmas present. I would highly recomend that you get the tires balanced. Not all tire places do this. We just had to buy ourselves a very expensive Christmas present and all the holidays combined. Our Central AC unit died after seventeen seasons. It sure cost more than a set of trailer tires.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #10

Default a very expensive Christmas present

Problem is, all I can find in 13" Trailer tires are C1 for the highest rating! I think I'm stuck.
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 07-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #11
Site Team

Bruce, I've been recommending Maxxis tires for several years now. AND, I also recommend Load Range D - they don't cost much more than C, and they give a lot more load capacity.

I wouldn't keep the Goodyear. You could keep your BEST (newest) tire as the spare, if you were to replace four. There's a date code on the side of tires, look for it.

I agree with having the tires balanced too. Discount Tire does this. As an aside, when I was getting new tires once from them, they found one rim I was going to use was warped and recommended I get a new one. It was a brand new rim, of a larger size for the larger tires I'd gone to. So, I contacted the seller (online) and he sent me a replacement. I can wholeheartedly recommend Discount Tires.

- Jack
Old 07-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #12

Bruce, I've been recommending Maxxis tires for several years now. AND, I also recommend Load Range D - they don't cost much more than C, and they give a lot more load capacity.

Yes, I agree, but I don't see any 13" Ds?

BTW, found out those Tow Masters are Goodyear too!

9:08 CDT: Additional info: All I've found so far in 13", Load Range D is a Carlisle Sport Trail L/H Bias Ply, 65psi. for $59 ea., or $206 for 4.
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 07-13-2017, 11:01 PM   #13
Site Team

Yipe! Sorry, I didn't remember you had 13" wheels. I'm not a fan of Carlisle. Everything I've read about them concerns failures.

I'd also stay away from bias ply tires.

Here's a link to offerings from Maxxis. ST Radial M8008 | Maxxis Tires USA Could you use the larger ones for 13" rims? They only add 0.3" to the radius and 0.3" to the width too. Would there be enough clearance between them, and inside your wheel wells? If your current tires are more than 0.6" apart, you might be able to fit them. They'd give you a bit of a boost in load carrying capacity.

If you went with Discount Tire and they don't stock them, they can probably special order them - they've done that for my tires.

- Jack
Old 07-14-2017, 08:54 AM   #14

Thanks Jack, Goodyear's Marathon has the same Specs, is about half the price, and are available locally. I'm just querying whether to do just two at a time or wait till the others have some age. Never had a blow out on the Hi-Lo, but I suppose I've a "Charmed" Life [at least until this last year or so].

Neither gives me much more room for additional weight though. Say deducting th hitch weight and adding it to the TV, I only get approx 1246#.
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 07-14-2017, 10:52 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce from Kansas View Post
Thanks Jack, Goodyear's Marathon has the same Specs, is about half the price, and are available locally. I'm just querying whether to do just two at a time or wait till the others have some age. Never had a blow out on the Hi-Lo, but I suppose I've a "Charmed" Life [at least until this last year or so].

Neither gives me much more room for additional weight though. Say deducting th hitch weight and adding it to the TV, I only get approx 1246#.
That's more than I have. You add the hitch weight to the TV, not the trailer, so you're fine there.

A blowout can cause serious damage! I'd check the dates of the tires. Replace ANY that are 4 or more years old!

Yes, Marathon specs are the same as Maxxis, ALL brands are as far as I know. I had two Marathons fail due to cord separation with less than 5000 miles. I've read of similar problems from other users of Marathons. I've NEVER seen a bad review of Maxxis.

- Jack
Old 07-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #16

That's @ your 80% Figure. My Hitch is supposedly 50#. My Neighbors a cpl miles away (also farm our Trust Land) have a Truck Scale.

And I average only a little over 400 Miles per year.
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 07-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #17

I tried to switch to 14s a couple years ago and could not because the width would not clear. So- I ditched the old 13's and found new ones that were radial and "d" rated. So far so good.

On weights-I've learned the hard way over the years to not trust stated weights on brochures OR placards. WEIGH THE TRAILER at a scale. Also, I have double axles and if you add the max weight of both of them they are less than the maximum weight of the trailer- thus, the additional weight is supposed to be supported by the tv via the tongue weight. It drives me crazy! But that is what they did rather than put on axles that were rated higher, I suppose to save money.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:12 PM   #18

So- I ditched the old 13's and found new ones that were radial and "d" rated.

I've NOT yet been able to find any "D" rated? And I've researched online. All I've been able to do is as Jack suggested, moving up from 175s to 185s which supposedly carry more weight.

Per the scales, I reference that above: My Neighbors a cpl miles away (also farm our Trust Land) have a Truck Scale.

And, both of mine are DBL axles. The 1976 has Leaf Springs.
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 07-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #19

Bruce- I will check with my dealer next time I am over there. Trailer is not readily available at the moment- but i will check the brand name next time I am near it. This question has come up before and I never seem able to remember the brand. I'm in Wisconsin but I am sure these guys would ship tires if somebody wanted some.

you may want to call , yourself, and see what they would recommend. here is the link to their web site. http://www.camperland-rv.com/

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce from Kansas View Post
Problem is, all I can find in 13" Trailer tires are C1 for the highest rating! I think I'm stuck.
I just got from ebay some 175/80-13 that. are rated D only 35 each. I was going order from amazon some c class but they sold out before I had time.

how do u know the date code where on tire is it?

Epoweredrc is offline   Reply With Quote