Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #1

Default 1987 22ft. Hi-Lo Manual Search

I just purchased a 1987 22ft Hi-Lo. I have the Owner's Manual, which is a high level overview, but I was wondering if there was a package out there somewhere. I am a newby when it comes to campers and I have no clue about toilets, holding tanks, dumping, or anything. Know where I could get these manuals?

weldonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
sam

Default New to you HI Lo

First,welcome to the forum. I recently did on a search on the internet/Amazon and other sites to find a beginner guide to Rving. This is going to be a gift for a friend. Used books are plentiful and in expensive. Do a search for websites that talk about camping. Maybe your local library might have a book that would help you. What city and state do you live in? Perhaps someone lives close and would be willing to help and explain the RV systems. Sam

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldonp View Post
I just purchased a 1987 22ft Hi-Lo. I have the Owner's Manual, which is a high level overview, but I was wondering if there was a package out there somewhere. I am a newby when it comes to campers and I have no clue about toilets, holding tanks, dumping, or anything. Know where I could get these manuals?
Welcome to our demented group!

There ARE resources here, but you need to start looking at every post. There are possibly people who can help you with your specific model too - I'm not one of those.

Toilets are pretty simple though, you deposit something and you flush. Now, if you are holding that stuff in the black water tank for a bit, you need to have added a chemical to the toilet before you started out on your journey. Otherwise it will not smell too nice. Camping World sells a variety of toilet sanitizers and I suspect all work well. They are online at: RV Supplies, RV Accessories & RV Parts for Motorhomes, Campers, Travel Trailers & 5th Wheel Campers - fifth wheel camper - Camping World if you don't have a store locally. DO get a "Presidents Club Membership". It will pay for itself almost immediately.

The grey water tanks (discharge from sinks and shower) CAN be "sweetened", but I haven't found that necessary yet.

There is usually a "Dump Station" in or near most campgrounds, and it is not good to travel with stuff in the grey and black water tanks. You will need a hose to connect to your tank outlet (Camping World - if you don't have it). Attach the hose to your discharge pipe, put the other end in the dump station inlet, and pull the BIG black water tank release first. When it finishes, pull the small grey water tank valve release to empty that one and clean out the hose. Close both valves and disconnect the dump hose from your trailer. Then put the cap back on the discharge pipe. There is usually a "rinsing" hose (non-potable) to run water through the dump hose at dump stations. Use it if you want for further hose cleaning.

I've never seen a dump station that is not free.

- Jack
Old 05-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
sam

Default New to you HiLo

Jack and I must have been posting at the same time. You also will need disposable gloves to put on before dumping. The toilet chemicals can be bought at Walmart. Take a trip to Walmart and see what is in their RV section. You can also call Camping World and ask for a free master catalog. 1.800.626.5944. When you are just starting out and need Rv supplies the presidents club at Camping World (pc) is the way to go. Buy a one year pc member as they have a low introductory rate. Search the internet for other Rv supliers/lowest prices. Sam
Old 06-01-2011, 01:22 AM   #5

Be careful of what you dump into the black water tank, and I'm not being facetious! Some campers I've chatted with think of the black tank as a garbage disposal... pouring in the bacon grease, the bits of left over steak and bread crusts, etc. Most of that stuff won't quickly break down and will potentially cause blockages when you try to dump your tank. The chemicals available at WalMart are designed to break down only two types of solids. One is toilet paper and yup, you've guessed the other!

I really recommend using RV or septic system toilet paper. I really does dissolve quickly.

Regarding dump stations, with all the references to Camping World, its worth noting that some of these stores have dump stations (also overnight camping).

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

I want to add, the instructions or tips, for dumping your 2 holding tanks...

you should follow advice above, gloves and the Black (toilet) tank needs a chemical, and you need to start your camping trip, with at 1 or so gallons of water in that tank (as per instructions on most of those chmicals) I was supplied with a powder packet, I like the liquid better IMHO).

SO, now when you are done camping, in kansas most parks have a dumping station and I use it instead of carrying it to my town's dumping station. Any way, you hook up your hose, and drain the black tank first. Black tank is noted with bigger pipes, and the valve you pull should be bigger than the other, and might well be color coded, I painted mine RED on the last camper I had, didnt do it this time. Why red? well, we use grey water from time to time when boondocking, to wash the motorcycles, and it really isnt cool, if your helper opens the wrong valve at some point, lol! After you dump the black tank, close it, and then dump the "grey" water tank. this helps flush the hose you use to drain everything a little bit, with "cleaner" water. Our dup site has a 4ft hose just for rinsing your dump hose, on a hydrant near the drain. I rince with that, and your done.

Yes, we're exteremely picky about what goes down the sinks and or toilet, especially the sinks! No grease!!! Avoid it at MOST chances. You cant stop in everything, you get some off plates and pans, just dont be pooring it in there!!! Plus we use screens on drains that you dump to trash, to keep food particles out (Not just because I use the water you know). but I have a screen on the washer as well. after a load of dishes, I have a nice soapy mix to de-mud the cycles.

Anyway, most RV people and what have you will tell you the same...

when done I unhook yet leave hose in the hole, and rinse with the hose they usually have on a hydrant to flush that hose. then store the hose.

Last but not least, there are probably as many types of drain hoses, you probably shop carefully, but you get what you pay for. I was given a hose when I bought the camper, that hose is thin and cheap compared to the ones I had in the past, and it already torn on me (2 uses). if you dont want "crap" all over your hands, and shoes, lol, get a good and LONG hose!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #7

In regards to the black water tank, a trick of the trade is to dump a couple of bags of ice into the toilet. Add a couple of gallons of water to the black water tank prior to dumping the ice. Then drive to your destination. The ice will act like little scrubbers moving back and forth while you drive. It will cause any "stuff" sticking to the bottom of the tank to break loose. As the ice melts, it will keep the "stuff" from sticking back to the tank. When you reach your campground, just dump the tanks at the dump site or full hook up if your site has the sewer. Depending on how well the previous owners cleaned the tanks, you might have to do this technique more than once.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #8

Adding to what Sting said about the sewer hoses, I have tried several types and the best one, in my opinion, is the Rhino Hose. It is a heavy duty hose and holds its shape. You can collapse the hose into a 6' length and it stays that way until you extend it out. The connectors on the Rhino Hose are heavy duty also, not like on the cheaper hoses. You get what you pay for and this one is worth the money. Welcome to the forum.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #9

Default Thanks!

You guys are amazing! Thanks so much for all the tips! I am such an ODC freek, I was so afraid to even start with what I was given and you have confirmed my aprehension - i definitely will be purchasing new hoses before I give this a try! Also, I have a septic system in my home, so I sort of already knew about the tissue and NOTHING else but...um...well...you know.

I've done quite a bit of tent camping and popup camping in my lifetime, but this is all new to me. Thus, the reason for purchasing a "well used" model. I want to make sure that it's "me" before I plop down some bucks (I only paid $2500 for the RV). I thought if I couldn't figure it out, I wouldn't be out a wad of cash and could probably unload it if I had to. I love the outdoors and camping though. It's just me and my 11 year old daughter (yes, I am the mom) who will be on our little adventures, so understanding all the mechanisms ahead of time is VERY important! Nothing worse than an 11 year old without at least some "creature comforts" - ha!

I am open to any and all advice! We are located in Alabama and love the TN, GA, and AL state parks - our favorite - Fall Creek Falls!

Thanks for making me one "happy camper" (geez..that's cheesy!)
weldonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
sam

Default Toilet tissue for the Rv

It was advertised in one of the camping magazines I get that scott toilet paper is okay for our toilets in the HiLo. I will tell you to get the plain scott tp where you get regular tp. Purchase the regular kind(not soft) .I am aware that scott has expensive tp. in the camping section at wall mart.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldonp View Post
My son just purchased a 1990 Funchaser, 20' and it has no manuals. I'm wondering if you manual for the 1987 would help us understand all the stuff inside as well as electrical, etc. Is there a way we could get a copy of your manual? Are you thinking of making it available online. Thanks for any help you can give.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

READ the forums,

In the Reference Library, not only are there some manuals there in PDF downloadable format, There is a video version of the owner's manual for 2005'ish models, that I posted to youtube, Moderator then stickied the the post, and one of our esteemed members made a table of contents in that thread.

Reference Library - Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum takes you to Library,
Hi-Lo Owners Manual - Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum takes you to threads with manuals we have on this website.

Also to NOTE:

most everything except for raising and lowering the hilo, is "generic" camper appliances and such.
A/C units (rooftop models) have a cord that you plug when top is raised, and unplug before lowering top.

you need special information, say a different toilet, than the manuals online here at ATF, then google for your toilet, because they used/sold these toilets to everyone else that build campers.