Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 01-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #1

Default 2000 31' classic control panel question

I have a 2000-31' classic and have forgotten the proper settings at the control panel to operate the water heater. At the control panel, I have two switches that effect the water heater. One toggle switch labeled AC shut off and the other toggle switch labeled DSI above and water heater below the switch. In addition, the DSI label has a red indicator light above it. My water heater does not seem to work in any position. The manual does not mention these controls. Can someone tell me the correct position for these switches for the electric and gas setting? Thanks, Ronnie.

Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Water heaters in Hilo are usually the same for ANY RV. So you might want to open the outside of your camper's HWH (Hot Water Heater) cover, to get the model and Brand of it, and then lay it up here in your post as well. Maybe we can find a link about it in google or something, willing to help but need more info.

My guess, having been camping a few times, DSI means Direct Spark Ignition, for the propane that should be being fed to it.

The AC could be that your model has the ability to be heated while connected to campground electrical. it is possible to have both and to add the electric after the fact of buying a plain old Propane only unit, as the electrode can go into tank where the drain plug is.

So, anyway, my thinking is if you can plug the camper in you flip the AC switch on, and it heats water with electricity instead of propane. and since you or previous owner is like me, if I dont need hot water right now, I leave water heater off, especially if at home on my dime. it only takes my heater about 5 minutes to have water warm enough to shower, on gas, probably longer on electricity though, by quite a bit...

Then if you are not hooked up, or if the AC side doesnt work, you probably flip the switch for ac off, then flip DSI on to ON, and go outside to see if it ignites the burner. It should try to start it self with a burst of self initiated sparks that should sound like semi loud clicks, that you will hear if you are near it, to light the flames. Of course the propane tanks have to be OPEN and hooked up to the HWH. Then once it is lit it should show red light, until you shut it off. This tells you you have the HWH on and going to heat and keep the hot water hot.

Lighting proccedures probably state if it doesn't light the red light wont come on, and to shut things off, wait 5 minutes for any gas that may be present when it didn't light, to clear off before trying again.

failing those basics, that is all know. YOUR MODEL might have different instructions.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #3

I had a 1705T and now have a 2310H and both water heater controls work the same. The switch with the flame is to light the LP and the other is to heat with electric. The up position is the on position for both. When you light the LP the DSI tries three time to light the burner, if it doesn't light on the third try the red light will come on to tell it didn't ignite. Turn the switch off and then back on and it will repeat the cycle. Be sure to have water in the heater or you will do damage to it, especially the electric heat element. Before you try the LP turn the gas on and light the range burners for a bit to make sure there is gas in the lines. You can have both LP and electric turned on at the same time to heat the water faster. When hooked up to electric fire up both the LP and electric at the same time them turn off the LP to conserve it. I might add, the master power switch by the door has to be turned on for the water heater to work in the LP mode. I have fooled myself more than once with that.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #4

Default Thanks!

Sting32 and RichR,

Thanks for your reply to my question regarding my hot water heater. Both of you were totally correct. As a result, I did get my heater to light on gas. However is did not get the AC side to work. I will check the element later. This forum is a great resource. Sad about the factory closing! Ronnie.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #5

There is the possibility that the electrical power is turned off at the tank itself. There is an off/on switch mounted on the "box" where the romex 110v electrical cable attaches to the water tank (Atwood 6 gal tank). It is in the off position from the factory to prevent the electrical being turned on without water in the tank. This is to prevent the heating electrodes from shorting out. The selling dealer would turn the switch on while prepping the trailer for delivery. If the switch is on, then definately I would check the heating electrodes. Good luck.
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #6

Retiredcamper 47,
Thanks for the suggestion about the switch, but I checked it last night, actually required a mirror to see the writing on the switch, and the switch was in the on position. Just my luck! Thanks, Ronnie.

Tags
control panel, water heater