Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-23-2024, 03:23 PM   #1

Default Awning gone

We lost the entire awning, frame and all. We checked the weather in the evening and nothing to be concerned. However, around midnight thirty, it all came crashing down under the weight of 1 1/2 inches of rain in less than 2 hours. In reality, it was waiting to happen. Whoever had the camper before did not repair the under brace properly and the frame could not handle the weight. Screws were barely into the wood 3/8 inch. Everything busted out...clamps, pop rivets all in pieces on the ground...warped frame. Oh well.
We're in the process of buying our new home and less than 3 weeks to go. I can't physically care for her anymore. She'll be going up for sale soon. It's a shame, all the important parts work just fine. I'll be in touch when ready to let her go. 2003 2203T Tow Lite in WV.

JayandRobin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 04:29 PM   #2
sam

Default Sorrry about your awning.

We got caught in a freak storm once. Cost about $100 in parts from Carefree. You are right the way the awning arms are installed it calls for reinforcement. I would tell the new owners to call Jay at Mantelli trailer sales if they want a twelve ft. awning and all the hardware. Only call if you are serious about buying.716-625-8877. Others have just bought a clam shell dinning set up. I hear you my DH is 78yrs. old and only has so much energy. He says i will get the chores done just a little bit slower.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Just an FYI for everyone. Always set out your awning with a significant "tilt". I set mine so the end that's furthest from the door is considerably lower than the door side. That way, the rain runs off and cannot pool in the awning, which would add a huge amount of weight.

- Jack
Old 05-23-2024, 05:25 PM   #4

Check ✅️ ...
Old 05-24-2024, 08:48 AM   #5

Not really pretty, but I use 2 cender blocks (not lite weight) to secure the outside corners. If a wind does come up the awning might bellow, but if it does rip it just destroys the tarp not the hardware at the top or arms.
Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 01:02 PM   #6

Quick fix for awning problem, got a cheap canvas canopy gazebo. St least it keeps the sun off my thinning hair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240526_134815.jpg (742.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-26-2024, 01:36 PM   #7
Site Team

I use one of those too, Jay. It protects my head also.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 03:51 PM   #8

😁..........
Old 05-30-2024, 09:29 PM   #9

Even with the awning open and tied securely the wind can come from underneath and rip it off the camper. The one I have on my house has sensors that will make it retract if there is much wind. I have not learned how to connect wiring to do this with my camping trailer. Any ideas ?
RICHARD1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 10:44 PM   #10
Site Team

Richard, you'd need an electric motor on the awning that can be triggered wirelessly by a wind sensor on the outside end of the awning. This sounds a MAJOR modification to me. I think your trailer awning is like mine, in that it is manually extended and retracted. You'd need an entirely different "spool" for the awning fabric and then it would need arms that pull the fabric out, powered by the motor.

I understand what you're talking about regarding the home awning, because mine also has a wind sensor and I don't worry about having it up if the weather turns windy. But I think you'd need a totally different awning to implement that on the trailer.

- Jack
Old 05-31-2024, 09:36 AM   #11

The porch light is a 12v sourse, the motor on the awning will work when it is turned own. Another way would be route your wiring through the porch lite hole bringing the wiring into the cabinet. The wires out side can be hidden and protected by pushing them under the awn frame and silicone them in place. I did this with outside lighting and using the porch lite switch for power.

Pops is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2203t, awning problem