Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-29-2020, 10:36 AM   #1

Question Hi-lo wrenches and other tools, also changing a tire

Can anyone tell me whether all of the nuts and bolts on Hi-lo trailers are English measurements and not metric? Also what size are the wheel lugs? Do you have instructions from a manual on how to jack up the trailer safely and how to change the tire? I have a 2008 M1908 model.

Appreciate it,

Larry Ullyatt

Lgullyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Larry, the instructions for jacking the HiLo are found in the HiLo manuals. You should find them in this one: https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49...s-manual-4163/, which is for the same model year as yours. I don't recall the wheel lug size, but they are SAE, not metric. I'm pretty sure you'd find that any bolts in the HiLo are also SAE.

The screw heads though, are square drive, which some people don't like, but I think are superior to Phillips Head.

- Jack

Old 08-31-2020, 09:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Larry, the instructions for jacking the HiLo are found in the HiLo manuals. You should find them in this one: https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49...s-manual-4163/, which is for the same model year as yours. I don't recall the wheel lug size, but they are SAE, not metric. I'm pretty sure you'd find that any bolts in the HiLo are also SAE.

The screw heads though, are square drive, which some people don't like, but I think are superior to Phillips Head.

- Jack
Thank you Jack for your reply. Can you send me the actual manual via email since when I Open the link it said error could not find page.

Thanks.

Larry
Old 08-31-2020, 09:58 AM   #4
Site Team

OK Larry, I just sent you the manual via an email link and I've removed your email address from the last post. It's odd that you can't open the manual in the forum. It's not hidden or anything.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:45 PM   #5

The lug nuts are 19 mm. A cross tire tool with six ( not 12) inside sides works though I now have a breaker bar since I used one of my AAA visits to have them loosened. Fortunately I was at home replacing a broken cable so was able to borrow a floor jack and jack stand . My new, last year, tires are a bit wider than my original ones so removing and placing the tire back on proposed more of a challenge. I am glad not to have needed to do this along any road. AAA Plus works for me.

For the square or phillips screw heads I prefer my rechargable screwdriver (can be used straight or at a convenient angle)which makes removing and replacing them much easier particularly when dong several at a time.
RICHARD1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD1943 View Post
The lug nuts are 19 mm. A cross tire tool with six ( not 12) inside sides works though I now have a breaker bar since I used one of my AAA visits to have them loosened. Fortunately I was at home replacing a broken cable so was able to borrow a floor jack and jack stand . My new, last year, tires are a bit wider than my original ones so removing and placing the tire back on proposed more of a challenge. I am glad not to have needed to do this along any road. AAA Plus works for me.

For the square or phillips screw heads I prefer my rechargable screwdriver (can be used straight or at a convenient angle)which makes removing and replacing them much easier particularly when dong several at a time.
Where did you get the breaker bar? How long is it? Is it 1/2 inch? Can you send a photo. I take that the lug nuts are on there very tight for a cross shaped lug wrench.

Thank you,

Larry
Old 09-04-2020, 07:39 AM   #7

19mm and 3/4 are same in my tools...I always carry my 1/4 in Impact driver with drill bits /sq driver/Philips/socket and adapters ///I use it to run Jacks up /down,lug nuts ..........must have is battery air pump..or manual///cause most tire replacement require deflateing tire

always have a breaker bar /lug wrench in case lugs are too tight
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:49 AM   #8

I think the longer cross shape lug wrench might work. I purchased a six sided socket on line. The breaker bar is a 1/2 " that goes with my 1/2" socket set but I also have a breaker bar that extends which I purchased some time ago. It has a rubber grip . I now have a 19 mm socket on it which is easier to store in my vehicle with jumper cables, fire extinguisher, etc. No idea when or where I purchased it.

My 1996 Camry requires a 20 mm socket and was even tougher to loosen the lug nuts that were put on using an air driven system by the mechanic. I am happy not to have to loosen lug nuts along a busy highway.

My advice now is to determine how you will remove them and if they are too tight go to your mechanic and have him loosen them slightly by hand. They love their power tools and over tighten the lug nuts.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:49 PM   #9

1509 sold today. Mike, the purchaser found it on this Forum
Old 09-04-2020, 10:29 PM   #10
Site Team

Congrats on your sale, RICHARD! Just because I was interested, I did a small calculation: Since an inch is EXACTLY 25.4mm, 3/4 of that is 19.05mm. So, a 19mm socket is just a super tiny bit smaller than a 3.4" socket, and I'm sure either will fit the lug nuts. If your tow vehicle uses a 19mm lug nut wrench, you won't need to buy a different one for the trailer.

I know I use an SAE socket for my trailer's lug nuts, and I'm about 99.9% positive that any other nuts or bolt heads are SAE too. I don't recall needing metric tools when I've done bearing and brake jobs, and I also don't recall anything other than screws in the trailer.

- Jack
Old 09-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #11

Rather than a jack I have used a Trailer-Aid on several different tandem axle trailers. Much easier than a jack. Trailer-Aid fix your trailers flat tire without a jack
tajmahaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:36 PM   #12

What can I use on a single axle trailer for a lift?
Old 09-07-2020, 04:11 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgullyatt View Post
Sadly, I don't think there is ANY solution other than a jack. Since I have a single axle trailer, I've looked and looked, and have not found anything.

- Jack
Old 09-07-2020, 05:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgullyatt View Post
JACK short of crane or auto lift
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #15

My Hi-Lo is a tandem axle... I just thought everyone had a tandem... Sorry.

tajmahaulers is offline   Reply With Quote