Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 09-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #1

Default Question about adjusting cables..

I am new to the Hi Lo trailer. So far everyone here has been a big help on any questions I have. Rich, you might be able to help since you have the same year and model trailer. We have a 2310H.My DW said why is the inside so dusty...I said we live in a Desert! But I did check the seals per the maint section. Found a 1/4 inch gap, the full length of the front rubber seal. The rubber seal is 1/4 way up the strip mounted to the trailer. I read how to adjust cables. I measured the 4 corners,(the back was 1 inch lower). I adjusted the cables, and now have the bottom of rubber seal 3/8 inch from the bottom of the strip mounted to the trailer. When I look inside at the seal, 2 ft in from both ends is sealed, but have an 1/8 gap in the middle. Do I have the top up as far as I should go, or is it too far. When I adjusted the cables at the front, I had lots of slack, I still have about an inch of slack. But the seal looks the all around the trailer.
Sorry for such a big note. Thanks for any help you could send my way!
Terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040205.jpg (87.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg P1040207.jpg (81.8 KB, 28 views)

desert trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #2

I checked our 2310h and noted that the black rubber seal is approximately even with the top of the white plastic seal strip all the way around. Inside the bottom half ledge is maybe 1/2" higher than the top half ledge. Do not try to adjust to make the ledges level, the seal is what is most important. Go to this thread and open the pdf file. There you will find 15 pages on replacing and adjusting the cables. On about page 9 it gets into doing the adjustment. It was written for a 1988 HiLo but the principal is the same. The newer trailers have the outriggers that the top sits on so that is where you would place blocking rather than on the front and back.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f61/...1998-24td-125/

I have never had to do any adjustments on the trailer because my dealer friend always took care of things like that. Now he is in very poor health and will have to do those things myself. So I am learning some things from the good members of the forum myself. I did get hands on experience when helping him from time to time so I have a general knowledge of most parts of the trailers.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #3

Thank you for checking your trailer Rich, one thing I was doing was blocking at the ends and not at the out riggers. That's is good to know. That is where I took my measurements to check how level the trailer was. I am at 31 inches on all 4 corners. If your seal is even at the bottom, maybe I can go up another 1/4 inch. Once I found the 4 adjusting nuts, I was surprised how easy it was to adjust. Sorry to hear about your friend that was helping you with your trailer, hope he does better. Rich, I will let you know if the gap goes away.
Rich, were in Arizona, too bad we could not get a group of Hi Lo trailers, that needed to be looked at, and have J and R come out and hold a Western repair clinic. Sometime in the winter, I bet we could get a big response here. But I know he has enough work already. Would be nice through!
Terry
Old 09-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
sam

Default cable adjustment

I seem to remember Arizona having an active HiLo owners club. This would be a good source for questions/help.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #5

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f42/...-profilers-29/
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 09-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #6

Thank you Sam for the Arizona Hi Lo club information. I will send them off an email.

Terry
Old 09-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #7

Thank you Rich for the link you posted. You have also given me good info on the WD Hitch set up. It tows so much better, than before. When we brought the trailer from the RV dealer, he said we did not need one. When we did the final inspection of the trailer, in the front compartment, there was this funny looking wrench. Asked him what it was, said he had no idea. I know now what it is for! Have not been back to that dealer for parts. Thanks again.

Terry
Old 09-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #8

Desert Trailer (Terry)

I would highly recommend contacting the AZ Hi-lo group. We met them at the 2013 Colorado Rally and they are a great group of people who know how to have a good time.

They plan most of their camping during the spring, fall and winter months because of the heat.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #9

Default Latest info on Arizona club

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f42/...ilo-club-2793/

Amateur Radio K3EXU