Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 02-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #21

John and Deb,

I've learned a bunch from your exchange of posts regarding "inverter generators."

Okay, here is my question: Is the term "inverter generator" standard industry jargon for any generator that, regardless of brand or capacity, produces a modified sine wave alternating current?

We don't have immediate plans to buy a generator, but one never knows when a good deal will pop up. I certainly don't want to get one that will damage our Hi-Lo.

Thanks,
Jim

2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:00 AM   #22

In a word, Yes!

Traditional camping generators run at a constant speed, no matter what level of power consumption you're using. The output of traditional AC generators is either a square wave in inexpensive units or a modified sine wave in more expensive units with wave shaping circuitry. Traditional camping generators usually have minimal sound proofing, often limited to a muffler and forest service approved spark arrestor resulting in sound levels in excess of 70db. Keep in mind that decibel is a logarithmic scale and the perceived sound level DOUBLES for every 3db measured, so 70db is 16 times louder than 58db.

The term Inverter Generator applies to a class of generators which have an onboard computer controlled DC-AC inverter that senses what you have plugged into the outlets and automatically adjusts the engine speed only to the level you need to give you quality power. To help ensure consistent power at any speed, the generator produces DC power, and the computer controlled on-board inverter converts it to high-quality AC output.

This process not only helps maintain steady, super-accurate power, but it also cleans the power output quality to a level that is similar to what you experience in your home, protecting sensitive electronic devices and appliances. The Inverter Generator uses it's computer-controlled technology to continuously adjust engine speed to your power needs. This combined with its premium muffler and sound reduction enclosure create a much quieter generator, typically under 58db at 20 feet.

All this additional design and features included in Inverter Generators explains the additional cost to you. DebW got a real deal (steal) on the Lifan 3300, that is why I assumed it was a traditional camping generator (which Lifan does make), I should have checked ... my mistake. If you check your Yamaha and I believe Honda Inverter Generators you will find that they are made in PRC (China) like just about everything these days.

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:51 AM   #23

Jim,
John(NDGent) wrote you an excellent explantion in regards to the generators. The Lifan Inverter Gen 3300 retails for 999.99. When hubby & I were comparing the two units the 2600 vs 3300 there was a popup type thing that said 20% off on all generators and power tools so I called the 800 number because I couldn't get the online order form to except the code. The lady took my order and the 20% off code. I just checked before writing this post and the code is still popping up so it's apparently still good. Don't know if I should be advertising on here BUT the code is PRE20. Don't know how long it is good for BUT if anyone is interested in purchasing a generator I would suggest you give Home Depot a call at 1-800-466-3337 and use that code PRE20. I tried to put it in the promo code again tonite to see if it would work and it still won't take it BUT they WILL take it over the phone. Hope this helps someone who is looking to buy a generator get one at a reduced price as they are pricey little things. Hopefully I don't upset anyone for advertising Home Depot on here. Just thought if anyone was looking to invest in a generator I'd pass this information along. The 20% off does make a difference. By the way shipping is FREE!!

Deb
DebW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #24

John and Deb,

Thanks, both of you, for such complete and understandable (for me) answers.

Cleared up a bunch of questions I had about portable generators (that is, generator-inverters)!

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #25

thanks for the info on sound proofing

quickfarms is offline   Reply With Quote