Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
mnb

Default electrical troubles

I seem to be having some trouble. I have a 83 hi lo. The in line 30 amp fuse was bad so I replace it. Then I thought the switch was sticking and it's not. When I bypassed the switch by touching the hot wire on the solenoid to the little red wire on the side post of the solenoid the trailer started to rise. But when I removed the wire it kept on rising until I disconnected the battery. The switch had been removed so I know it's not the switch. Could the solenoid be sticking, or is the motor sticking on? Can the motor be taken apart and cleaned or am I needing a new one? The funny thing is everything works fine when it's plugged into 110. I though I heard a clicking noise when I disconnected the battery is there any other fuses that I should be checking? I have checked the fuses in the converter and they are all good. Does anyone have any suggestions for a first time hi lo owner.

mnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #2

I realize I'm being a parts replacer rather than a mechanic, but how about a new solenoid just to start things off? When you touch the hot wire to the post on the solenoid can you hear it click, both when you touch it AND when you let it off? You should actually hear a "click" in both instances.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote