Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #1

Default Vacuum

I purchased a compact rechargeable vacuum from Black and Decker on E-Bay for $44.95 Black&Decker Cordless Canister Vac & bonus filters - eBay (Walmart wanted $56.00). I liked the cyclonic design and the flexible hose so I can get the sand and dirt that gathers in the floor corners of the Hi-Lo, it also has a crevice tool and, (handy for me with the dogs and cat) a pet hair tool.

I have had a chance to use it a few time and I can testify that it has a lot of suction and works well. The only thing I plan to modify is to make a 12v charger cord so I can re-charge it off the Hi-Lo 12v system. When I get it finished I will post pictures for everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vacuum.jpg (13.3 KB, 13 views)

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #2

Wait - so it's made to charge off of 110, but you're going to modify it to charge from 12v? That's impressive!

I'm interested in knowing more. My two kids (ok - it's ME) will keep that little vacuum busy all day long.

cptmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #3

It is not that complicated. The vacuum is battery powered and the "120 volt" power connector is actually a step-down transformer putting our 12 volts. I'm simply replacing the transformer with an automotive 12 volt pulgy thingy with a built in fuse and the correct jack at the other end. Not rocket science.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #4

Curious as to where you store your vacuum cleaner? We have a 31 ft and nowhere large enough to store a vacuum.
MIMI BRUMAGIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #5

The Black & Decker FHV1200 Flex Vac cordless ultra-compact vacuum cleaner is really a large Dust Buster and therefore it is not that large, approximately a cubic foot. Most of the time it is out somewhere, usually sitting on the wheel box under the table or stashed in the bath area ready to clean up something.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #6

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the forum Mimi Brumagin!

I see you live not too far from me. I sent you a private message of inquiry.

Rich
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

I bought one of these for Xmas, I love it, it doesnt hold much dirt though, lol (less than a half quart). Which is, but not much more, than those old dust busters...

I've had mine long enough to know:

I find taking out the filter (it has a mechanism, that you spin, wish sort of attempts to unclog the airfilter, as if you were lightly tapping things). It is only barely usefull. So, I take the filter out and shake it every so often, makes it work better after a few cleanups in the car or camper!

Great idea on the "mod" for a direct 12v charge... Funny they didnt include a cigarette lighter ready charger, if you ask me (which is what I said when I opened the box after xmas).