Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Routine Maintenance & Service | Winterizing
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Routine Maintenance & Service | Winterizing Required and suggested maintenance, storage and winterizing topics.

Old 10-18-2023, 09:00 AM   #1

Smile My way of covering for winter

If you are not fortunate enough to have a covered place to store your trailer during winter like me, here is what I have found works best after winterizing. I have over the years found the expensive RV covers to be a huge disappointment and waste of money. What I do is cover any sharp edges (awning ends etc.) with foam wrap then slide heavy weight clear plastic sheeting (not the black type, it leaves marks) over the entire roof as an extra measure and then I use a white 'Ag cover' from tractor supply. they are stronger, longer lasting and have stronger grommets for tying down and are way cheaper than the average RV covers. Hope this helps someone.

oldtrnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 09:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrnut View Post
If you are not fortunate enough to have a covered place to store your trailer during winter like me, here is what I have found works best after winterizing. I have over the years found the expensive RV covers to be a huge disappointment and waste of money. What I do is cover any sharp edges (awning ends etc.) with foam wrap then slide heavy weight clear plastic sheeting (not the black type, it leaves marks) over the entire roof as an extra measure and then I use a white 'Ag cover' from tractor supply. they are stronger, longer lasting and have stronger grommets for tying down and are way cheaper than the average RV covers. Hope this helps someone.
I looked at pontoon boat covers because when lowered it is the same dimensions as a pontoon boat cover. And the are a lot cheaper than an RV cover. Why spend a lot of money for something that only lasts 5-6 yrs.

PATVAL69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 09:15 AM   #3

That's how I feel. I have over the years wasted money on two RV covers. They don't hold up to sun, wind, and certainly don't keep the rig dry. The other thing I do is to put in a couple of de-humidifiers.
Old 10-27-2023, 02:26 PM   #4

Great idea - have had a couple of $200+ HiLo specific covers that lasted only a couple of winters - not doing that again. Last couple of winters I've used a big silver tarp from Harbor Freight that's worked pretty well, but ones long enough to cover the length of our 2307C are way too wide which makes it awkward to tie down.

Didn't find "ag covers" on Tractor Supply's web site - lots of generator, lawn tractor and wood pile covers, but nothing big enough for a HiLo - do you know how the ag covers are listed?
Old 10-28-2023, 01:14 AM   #5
sam

Default Rv Cover

I must be lucky. I was able to buy an Adco cover from another forum member. It is heavy canvas. The cost was $300. Still using it many years later. Friends of ours traded in their 29ft. HiLo. for a motor home. They gave me a brand new ADCO cover. It is light weight. Used this year and will see how it works out.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 10:18 AM   #6

They are listed as, agricultural covers. Our's is a '93 Fun Lite 23ft and the cover that I used was a little on the long side length wise, but I simply package folded the ends over the tongue and spare carrier and secured them with tarp clamps (available at Home Depot). The sides came down over the bottom of the windows and left room for tying down. The two sizes they currently show that might work are; 30x15 for $89.99 and a 20x16 for $64.99 My last one lasted for about 3 years and the plastic sheeting since it is underneath is still good. We are in snow country, that's why I go the extra mile by using the heavy weight clear plastic sheeting below the cover.
Old 10-31-2023, 03:03 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Keep in mind that you want your cover to breathe to prevent mold and mildew from forming.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 10:00 PM   #8

I bought a 60x30 ad poster sign [very thick, durable] black on reverse. Cut it so could lift/lower with it place. Cut the corners to fold, cut a doorway too for ingress when lowered, used industrial velcro for overlaps and door. I did this in summer, this helped it take shape of roof, vents etc etc. Gone thru 2 winters now. Paid $60 [C list]
brit622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 09:08 AM   #9

The mold and mildew could be a problem for people in some areas but hasn't been for me. I have not seen an RV cover yet where the roof is waterproof, water resistant yes. I have years ago had a name brand cover on an RV where the snow melt went thru and actually froze to the roof and was a horrible mess, never again! In a milder climate with little wind, no extreme sun and so forth, an RV cover would probably be fine. People just have to do what works best for them, I guess.