Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Routine Maintenance & Service | Winterizing Required and suggested maintenance, storage and winterizing topics.

Old 11-05-2023, 08:35 AM   #1

Default Winterizing Question

I’m wintering my 1980 Hilo, hose hookup comes from the floor, do I hook up hose and see if anti freeze comes out of faucet

Sprengerluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 10:42 AM   #2
Site Team

Luke, I moved your post to its own thread in this area because it had no relationship to the thread it was in.

If you are asking, "When you pull antifreeze into the hot and cold lines, do you add until the antifreeze comes out of all faucets and the toilet valve?" - the answer is YES. This will guarantee that antifreeze is distributed throughout the plumbing and has gone into the "J-traps" below the sinks. You will be fully protected that way.

I also remove the drain plug from the hot water heater (7/8" socket on mine) so that the water tank is empty - then I reinstall the plug loosely to prevent spiders from entering.

Don't forget to tighten that plug next spring and move all winterizing valves to the correct "camping" positions again, when you flush out the antifreeze!

- Jack

Old 11-05-2023, 09:51 PM   #3
sam

Default Winterizing

I helped DH winterize the HiLo this season. He had me open faucets until pink antifreeze came out. Do one faucet at a time. Then close the faucet. Then do the next faucet. DH put some antifreeze down the toilet to make sure we have no problems. Then close the ball on the toilet and let some antifreeze in the bowl. Antifreeze is cheaper than having to replace frozen split plumbing. Clarification Pour a good slosh in the toilet bowl. I think he used 1&1/2 jugs of pink antifreeze Our RV dealer says the pink antifreeze is good for two years.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote