Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 03-21-2016, 10:38 PM   #1

Default Inverse Frame Deflection from Jack Levelers

My 1992 HiLo 2292L has a droopy frame. When I use the leveling jacks, the door opening gets wider in the lower section to the point that the door will not stay latched. When the weight is taken off the leveling jacks, door works fine.

As an alternative, I have tried using BAL scissor type jacks positioned as far as possible toward the ends of the frame. Same result. Door opening expands at the top of the door opening on the lower section.

Hoping that someone may have a creative solution I have not thought of.

Obviously my main frame rails are quite a bit more flexible than when brand new.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:02 PM   #2
Site Team

No, I doubt your frame has become more flexible. I think you are using the jacks incorrectly. They are NOT "leveling" jacks. They are "stabilizing" jacks. They are to be used to take the "boat on an ocean" motion out of the trailer when set up for camping. As such, they should be extended to the point that they make firm contact with the ground, but do not actually "lift" the trailer.

If you want to level the trailer, you do it with leveling plates that are placed under the wheels for side-to-side leveling and with the tongue jack for front-to-back leveling.

You can find all kinds of leveling devices for the wheels at places like Camping World or anywhere else online. Or, you can just carry some inch thick boards with you that you can stack to achieve the proper height.

DO NOT use any kind of frame jack to level the trailer. It will have the effect you are experiencing and can lead to permanent frame deformation.

- Jack

Old 03-22-2016, 03:52 AM   #3

I noticed mine does the same. I did see that there was some play where the door hinges are attached. I replaced the screws and added some washers and this helped a lot. If the trailer is pretty close to level there is still some resistance opening and closing.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote