Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 11-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #1

Default Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall

Check the fire extinguisher in your Hi-Lo immediately!

There is a recall on Kidde fire extinguishers. Our 2310H has one that is on their list. It is a Model M5P but yours may be different. They are subject to failure and Kidde will replace them at no cost.

Here is the link to their recall:https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fire-extinguishers-with-plastic-handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and

Go to the bottom of the page where the Push Button models are listed. If your extinguisher is listed go to Kidde Home Safety and click on the recall. Follow the instructions.

Also, check other extinguishers you may have around home to see if they are in the lists.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #2
sam

Default Saw this on the world news and another camping site.

Sure enough the one we have in our home is a Kiddie. Tomorrow DH will check the HiLo. Glad you posted this.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:32 PM   #3
Site Team

Rich, I couldn't get your link to work. I did an internet search and found this one: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/ki...-discharge-and

- Jack
Old 11-04-2017, 07:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Rich, I couldn't get your link to work. I did an internet search and found this one: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/ki...-discharge-and

- Jack
Thanks Jack, I don't know what happened there, but your link is working.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 11-04-2017, 04:15 PM   #5

Default Kidde

Just go to Kidde Home Safety.
Beach
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #6

The replacement extinguisher for the Hi-Lo was delivered today. It closely fits the old bracket so I don't think I will have to change it out, but I will hang onto the new one just in case. There are instructions for sending the old one back in the packaging that the new one was shipped it. There is a prepaid FedEx shipping label included.

This extinguisher has a metal nozzle and a dial gauge which both are improvements over the old extinguisher.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 11-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #7
Site Team

Glad to hear you got your's Rich. Mine is supposedly on the way too. Hope the new one will fit in the old place like you say yours does.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Glad to hear you got your's Rich. Mine is supposedly on the way too. Hope the new one will fit in the old place like you say yours does.

- Jack
I have two different models, both on the recall list and replacements on the way. It will be interesting to see how the new ones differ from the old.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #9

My new Kidde extinguisher arrived yesterday. The neck of the new one is 1.3 inch and the original Kidde's neck is 1.1 inch (wouldn't fit.) I modified the Hi-Lo's box that holds the extinguisher by cutting out the box's neck and mid section and then installing the holder that came with the new Kidde.
Beach
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
Site Team

I FINALLY got my replacemant extinguisher two days ago! Like Dee, I'm able to modify the original mount to hold the new one. I widened the neck holder with a Dremel tool and then cut out the original hoider projections since the new extinguisher is wider overall. Then, I shaped a 2x2 piece of pine to move the base of the holder up, since the new extinguisher is shorter. Finally, I cut two slots in the back of the holder so that a velcro strap would work to hold the new extinguisher in place.

- Jack
Old 01-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #11
sam

Default Read on another camping forum.

One RV owner wasn't able to use the bracket that came with the replacement extinguisher. He called Kiddie and they gave him a different bracket. Yes it took quite a while for the recalled extenguisher to come back to us. Our HiLo is covered up for the winter. Can't see how the bracket will work until the spring,hopefully!! Fed Ex guy came to our home and said"What is in this package because I am getting lots of these pickups". When I told him he saidthe proper hazard label wasn't it and bot Fed EX and Kidde could be fined thousands of dollars. Thought he was going to refuse to take it. No that didn't happen.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:14 PM   #12
Site Team

Interesting! The only special label mine had was a diamond shaped black and white label that had my street address number on it. I THINK it's a warning not to ship the package by air. Otherwise, it just had a Fed Ex return label on it. When I called Fed Ex for the pickup, the person there knew right away that it was going to Kiddie from the tracking number that I gave her.

- Jack
Old 01-20-2018, 07:15 AM   #13

Our replacement extinguisher very closely fit the old bracket. I don't think I will need to modify the bracket. Our first short road trip will be the test.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 01-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Interesting! The only special label mine had was a diamond shaped black and white label that had my street address number on it. I THINK it's a warning not to ship the package by air. Otherwise, it just had a Fed Ex return label on it. When I called Fed Ex for the pickup, the person there knew right away that it was going to Kiddie from the tracking number that I gave her.

- Jack
I had two extinguishers to return and when I called for the first return the agent seemed like he didn't know what was going on and the call was not a smooth process. When I received the second unit, I was going to be driving by a Fed Ex warehouse so I took the return to the warehouse, but was told they could not take the package because it had the diamond shaped black and white label. I was told a Fed Ex truck would have to pick it up at my house. Go Figure! Made the phone call and this time everything went smoothly.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Old 01-22-2018, 05:38 PM   #15
Site Team

I don't understand the home pickup either. But that's the way it was done for me and it was trouble-free, the day after I called to have it done.

- Jack
Old 11-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #16

What size and brand fire extinguisher fits int the holder? I replaced mine and it has a velcro strap.
Thanks
lincow
2202 TD
lincow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:12 PM   #17

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincow View Post
What size and brand fire extinguisher fits int the holder? I replaced mine and it has a velcro strap.
Thanks
lincow
2202 TD
Based on my experience with a 1999 21T and our current 2005 27T, I think most Hi-Lo's were sold with Kidde fire extinguishers. I had the fire extinguisher from my 1999 21T, which was empty due to a fire and the extinguisher from our 2005 27T. Both extinguishers were on a recall and when I received a replacement for the 2005, it was a little larger than the original unit, so I had to install with the new holder provided by Kiddde, but if velcro works, use it!

1999 21T Tow Lite