Minor problem here, but the correct fix in my opinion is to use much the same aluminum thickness as the hinge. my cracks were at the rivets and corners (two upper corners).
I removed the cover, shaped the alum strip around the corners allowing for ONE hinge rivet to catch my strip, drilled a hole for that rivet and installed it. Then using several clamps, I ran a bead of Lexel caulk under the strip, drilled a hole for each 1/4" rivet and installed rivets until the end.
Now the minor problem, your skill sets. As said above, you may need to improve those simple skills, because maintenance on ANY camper is on going, or will be expensive if you rely on a shop to do the work. Self satisfaction goes a long way and you may not be ANYWHERE near a repair facility. The forum is great for helping you solve a problem, but unfortunately can't do it for you.
Keep reading the forum and discover the ways of overcoming problems, even on the road!
By the way, welcome to the forum,
2703 Tow Lite
Bonita Springs, Fl. &