Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 07-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #21
sam

Default Thumbalinas passing

Thanks for all the condolances they are a comfort to my family. We got her at a few weeks old from the SPCA. Tiger stripped and had extra mittens (toe on paw.) My daughter was five yrs . old at the time and I thought it would be a good thing for Melissas autism. Melissa once took this cat in her bedroom and gave it a serious haircut right down to the skin. I flipped out when I saw the piles of fur on the bedroom floor. She had such a gentle personality that she let Melissa do this to her. Several months later we had her at the vet and didn't say a word about the haircut. The vet thought the partial bald spot was ring worm.haha. She made a full recovery and my daughter never tortured her again. She loved to sit any anyones lap and have her face massaged. I called her my lush cat because she enjoyed being petted and massaged. She loved everyone and would love to jump up on our dinning room table and sit on your paper work that you were trying to do. She always did this when Melissas' case manager was over. Had another cat that was a "looker." Since passed from abd. cancer. Now we have our part Macoon male cat that stretches out like a "limo." He will lick you forever. He really has bonded with DH and tries to sit at the computer board when DH is on it. He loves to go under the bed sheets when you are trying to make the bed. My three cats, the lush,the looker, and the licker!!. We aren't going to get any more pets as we need to get a cat sitter when we go away. When I was growing up we had lots of cats in the country and they all managed to get run over crossing the road. Thanks for letting me go down memory lane.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #22

Sam:

All this reminiscing about cats reminds me of a one and only cat I ever enjoyed. We rented a farm house many years ago, and he had the run of it. He used to climb up my leg and back, while I worked on the car... sit on the engine and supervise everything I did. Actually I'm not really fond of cats, none-the-less, it was "Fats"; a large orange beast, that got under my skin enough to write this poem some 25... maybe 30 years ago.

My Feline Friend

Sitting outside on my window sill
Peering at me from the night;
His dark form barely visible
Only big eyes are aglow from my light.

His pink mouth opens... teeth flash white
A silent meow he emits.
I blink my eyes... he's suddenly gone;
On the sill he no longer sits.

"Where do you go my feline friend,
During the night, on soft padded feet?
I know you'll return by morning's light,
To my door step... for me to greet.”

In the morn’ he's off to the kitchen,
To a bowl of warm milk by the sink;
He tastes it lightly, then hunches down,
Settling to a thirst quenching drink.

When the bowl is empty, he stretches and yawns,
And tip toes across the floor.
To an oval rug by the bay window,
Where he performs his fur cleaning chore.

For the rest of the day, he's curled up,
In the warmth of the Autumn sun's glow.
When nighttime shrouds the house once more,
Out the door he will go.

“Where do you go my feline friend,
During the night when everyone's asleep?
Where in the nether world of shadowy forms,
On soft padded feet do you creep?"

Dabbler

Dabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #23
sam

Default Cat poem

Dabbler,very nice poem that I printed out to save. My poem writting ability is minus 20. It brought a smile to my face. Our male cat furby only goes out at night. I nammed him Furby because as a kitten he was a furball of energy. He was a stray that was born out underside my neighbors porch. He was on our back patio so weak he couldn't stand up. I didn't want another cat as we already had two. DH wanted him and we rushed him off to the Vet. He was so infested with fleas that is what was making him sick. A week of antibiotics,fleat treatment at the vets and a good bath by us. Now you know a cat is sick when they can't give themselves a bath. He is the biggest whimp when it comes to noises. Afew weeks ago another male cat bit him on the hind leg. We were lucky the vet just debrided the abscess in the office and he had to be on antibiotics for a week. He doesn't go outside until 2am to 5am. I think he is staying closer to home. He is neutered and would rather be passive than fight. He is one handsome cat green eyes and just about all grey. He hangs out just about all day in the hot attic. Lots of boxes in the eves to hide under. Just remembered "Thum"spent the last two afternoons out in our backyard in the sun. Her favorite thing to do.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #24
sam

Default Stove questions

Just remembered someone else that had stove problems and I had looked in my manual and got on the website for the model of my HiLo stove/oven. This should be in a back post. The info. was very detailed and many pages long. Can't quite remember ,maybe they had a tech. number.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #25
sam

Default Cat poem

Your Cat poem is so good,touching I will give a copy to my Vet. with your permission. I know in a few days they will send me a sympathy card. This poem should be given to all cat owners to comfort them in a time of grieving. I have reminders of my second cat "Kitty Roo" named by my daughter. Countless times loving her on my lap. She stood on night stands,dressers and the floor and did some serious scrapes,rips to the wallpaper in ourbedroom. She was a short ,squatty little sh....t.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #26

Default Cats

Just remembered one of my first woodburnings. This was done 1972.

It’s Gone©

Our cats on the table by the gold fish bowl,
Looking unconcerned as can be.
How can he look so angelic I wonder...
There’s no fish in the bowl I can see.

Dabbler...Later

By-the-way, permission granted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat-2.jpg (8.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #27

Just catching up on some threads and saw your sad news Sam so sorry for your loss. Always a hard decision. I'm hoping my latest kitty with serious health issues passes on her own before I have to make that heart breaking decision yet again.
Kathy
zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:11 AM   #28

A quote:

I've purchased many different items in my life, and have had pretty good luck in making certain what I was buying was worth the price. One can look a used camper over and over, untill they are blue-in-the-face, and still not know what they are getting, or what they finally bought, until they try using all the immenities it has to offer. As the old saying goes... "when buying an old horse... Buyer Beware".

That was a post I made shortly after our recent purchase of a 1980 21D HiLo FunChaser.

Today I made a list of the amenities (corrected spelling) and this is a near completed list of what I am being faced with to repair. Still... I am not disappointed with the findings. When I'm finished, this camper will be what we want it to be. It's going to be a while before it sees travel time though. Momma and I will have to wait a bit longer to take a well deserved vacation.

Windows: Need 150 feet 3/4"x 3/16" butyl tape. (purchased)
Windows: #10 x1" stainless steel sheet metal screws. (Purchased)

1. Reinforce and seal external lower edge of trailer top.
2. Replace external dust seal around trailer.
3. Purchase 1 assembly; friction anti-sway bar.
4. Replace (4) 13" tires. (good tread, but dry-rotting). (Spare is brand new.)
5. Replace all electric brakes and drums.
6. Purchase brake controller
7. Replace all lift cables.
8. Check and replace seals in hydraulic lift cylinder.
9. Purchace 15/20 foot drain hose for Gray & Black water.
10. Check toilet for leaking seals and flushability.
11. Check all holding tanks and clean.
12. Replace sanitary vent pipe in bathroom.
13. Purchase end caps for drain hose storeage in bumper.
14. Purchase rubber mat for retractable steps from trailer.
15. Replace external storeage box for of 30 amp. electrical cable.
16. Replace hot air heating duct ... check heater.
17. Repair bathroom door...
18. Replace bathroom partition curtains.
19. Replace curtains thoughout trailer.
20. Repair or construct new kitchen table, and support legs.
21. Repair and recover couch, and dining area cushions.
22. Repair entrance door & piano hinge pin.
23. Check and replace running lamps or lenses on trailer.
24. Check for replacement of entry doors lock assembly.
25. Replace door cover for freshwater entry.

Some items have already been acquired, and Momma will be taking measurement soon for materials needed to replace cushion covers and curtains.

I've downloaded many, many pages of information referring to repairs and replacement of electrical equipment as well as mechanical items. This information has been made into quite a manuscript. HTF members; because of their posting discushions have pointed me to several very good sites for this material, as well as searching the Internet itself. It certainly will cut down on "trial and error" time. Thanks to All.

Dabbler... later
Old 07-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #29

Default Stainless Steel screw fasteners

For what it's worth to HiLo owners in Michigan area.

If your in the Michigan area...try the following locations for Stainless Steel screws (No. 10 x 1" Pan head Square Drive) fasteners used on windows, or throughout your trailer. After several attempts at trying to purchase these screws locally, I was directed to a location in Midland, MI. It was worth the 60 mile drive one way to get them.

Because I am resealing all my camper windows, I purchased all they had on hand at the moment, (338) for $12.54. They acquire their stock source from Alma, MI.

See Email connection and addresses below.

ABC Fastener Group 1-800-526-2200

Alma Bolt Company - 925 E. Superior St. - Alma, MI 48801 - (989) 463-1122.

Prime Industrial Fasteners - 2425 Schuette Rd. - Midland, MI 48642 - (989) 496-0600

Good Luck... Dabbler
Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #30
sam

Default Where to get stainless steel screws

Here is where I ordered my stainless steel screws from. This would have saved you the 120 mile round trip. McFeely's .com 1-800-443-7937 Fax800-847-7136. When your order comes in you receive a coupon for $1.00 off shipping on future orders. it has a large timeframe,expiration date. It is amazing how many screws are around each window and in the entire trailer. If my memory serves me correctly a big window is 32 screws. Hope this helps you if you need more.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #31

If you have a local Fastenal store they may have them in inventory. They list them at $19.75/box of 100 on their website.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #32

Don't get mad at me Sam, and I don't mean to be splittin' hairs, but... I did the math prior to driving.

For a No. 10 x 1" Stainless Steel self tapping Square Drive screw, McFeelys charts show they would chg. $56.10 for 300 not saying what shipping chg. was.

I purchased (338) all they had at the moment, of No. 10 x 1" Stainless Steel self tapping Square Drive screws, for $12.54 total.

My 2008 Silverado gets 20/21 mpg on the highway; consistantly. For 120 mile trip, lets say I used 6 gals. of gas. Gas at the pump, on the day we drove, was $3.21 per gal., totaling $19.26.

$19.26 + $12.54 for screws = $31.80 spent for the trip.

Had I spent $56.10 plus tax, and waited for X number of days for screws, I would not have had $24.30 to spend on a nice lunch for the wife and I, plus a nice trip enjoying the countryside scenery.

As I said don't be mad at me Sam, but the figures won out.

Now I have to wait on this very much needed rain to stop, so I can get back outside and start on the windows.

Dabbler
Old 07-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #33
sam

Default Getting stainless steel screws

I truly would never get mad at anyone. It is your business where you get your parts. I was thinking maybe you had a nice drive and stopped along the way to eat. The other thought was that you may need more screws and you said you cleaned the place out. Sure wish we would get some much needed rain. It keeps going away from Western NY. We were in the middle of NYS and it poured at the campsite before our arrival. Took me several days to catch up on the wash,emails and read back newspapers. That is why I call camping insanity(all the packing and unpacking.) We have more camping scheduled and I am going to make doing our three window jobs on the HiLo a priority. Was hoping for a reduction in the temps. 85 for the week and less humid.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #34
sam

Default Getting parts

Only one more consideration with your road trip . How much per mile in truck maintenance costs,new tires ect. ? Just joking!! We make a 1 1/2 hour round trip to our HiLo dealer when we need several parts. If I only need one or two parts I have them mailed. Often times I am on the net. looking for the best price and shipping charges. Our gas guzzling 3/4 ton HD 4x4 gets 10 to 12 mpg. Ford. We love our "tank."
Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #35

Default Window repairs

Today the last of the windows were set with new SS screws. If no rain tomorrow, I'll caulk with slicon around the outside of each frame, and add aluminum-silicon caulking where the exterior weather stripping has shrunk around the glass.

There is still much to do... Dabbler
Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #36
sam

Default caulking around windows

Don't use silicone caulk around your windows. We used silicone around one of our large windows because we didn't know better. This is our last window that we have to take out,apply butyl tape and reinstall. The silicone caulk has pulled away from the window. Use lexell(ace hardwear) on sika at home depot.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #37

Read your post Sam...

I did use Butyl weather stripping around the window frames. I have yet to do a followup with a bead of caulking material to finish the job. I also wondered why it is not available in California. There is much to be considered if applying this material and making certain it will be effective.

Since the following information has been presented as public information, by Sashco; manufacturer of Lexel, I feel confident I am able to pass this on to you and others who may decide to use it.

It appears to be an answer to waterproofing problems, but again the user should know all aspects of preparations before applying it properly. See following insert.

Dabbler:

Features Benefits

• 19 times clearer than silicone No cloudiness or ugly caulk lines
• Super elastic with strong adhesion, Eliminates costly call backs won’t tear, crack or pull away
• Paintable Unlike silicone, paint sticks with no separation
• Water & mildew-resistant Use indoors or outdoors
• Won’t freeze No wasted caulk in cold weather
• Use on wet or dry surfaces Apply in most any weather
• Tough & easily cleaned Clean with abrasive cleaners with no damage
• Limited Lifetime Warranty Have confidence that you’re using the right product
• Exclusive stop flow plunger Less waste, less mess
• High durability Performs well in most any type of climate
• Full 10.5 oz. in every cartridge More for your money

Where NOT To Use:

• Areas of submersion where there is animal life (i.e. aquariums)
• With polystyrene insulation
• Containment applications
• Plastics not listed should be tested for compatibility before use
• Will not adhere to or is incompatible with Aquaseal®*, cultured marble,Kynar®*,
polypropylene, polystyrene foam insulation, polyethylene, rubber, silicone, styrofoam (it
dissolves it), Teflon®*, vulcanized rubber, waxes

Application:

• Large beads applied in hot weather (above 95ºF) may exhibit slight bubbling. For best
results, apply out of direct sunlight.
• Prepare frosty or icy surfaces by cleaning with alcohol.
• If using indoors, make sure the room is well-ventilated.
• Natural shrinkage may give some joints a concave appearance.
multiple applications may be needed to fill the joint flat.
• If dirt or oils are present on the substrate, wash with any household cleaner, rinse to
remove and allow to thoroughly dry.
• Remove any old caulk, especially silicone or silicone residue.Use a silicone remover
such as McKanica®* Silicone Caulk Remover.
• Insert backer rod into joints deeper than 1/2” to provide for proper sealant depth
and a stronger, longer lasting seal.

Cartridge:

•Gun Lexel into the joint with a caulk gun. Squeeze Tube:
• Squeeze Lexel into the joint.
• Tool for a smoother bead using a caulking tool or a soapy finger and a light, skimming touch.

Storage and Clean Up:

• Clean tools with mineral spirits, paint thinner or citrus-based cleaners.
• Clean hands with citrus-based cleaners.
• Lexel cartridges can be stored if sealed tightly. Wrap cartridge nozzles tightly with
plastic wrap and a rubber band.
• Lexel squeeze tubes can be stored by tightly replacing the cap.

WARNING: This product contains a material that is reported by the State of California to cause birth defects or reproductive harm.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #38

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

In view of the above post ,

Where NOT To Use:

• Areas of submersion where there is animal life (i.e. aquariums)
• With polystyrene insulation
• Containment applications
• Plastics not listed should be tested for compatibility before use
• Will not adhere to or is incompatible with Aquaseal®*, cultured marble,Kynar®*,
polypropylene, polystyrene foam insulation, polyethylene, rubber, silicone, styrofoam (it
dissolves it), Teflon®*, vulcanized rubber, waxes

Based on that Lexal should not be used on the plastic end caps found on may Hi-Lo's as it will not adhere to it.
I was going to get Lexal to recaulk some spots on my end caps that are starting to come loose, looks like I will use something else.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #39

Something extra I found while surfing the NET. Make certain you type your question to say Sealant for water proofing rather than caulking. Also be certain their product can be used on campers and trailers.

I've come across many companies that manufacture sealants and where their products are sold, but in some cases the only way to acquire the product you choose, is by Email only. It will certainly pay to do the research.

Dabbler
Old 07-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #40
sam

Default Lexal caulk

Thanks for sharing the information on Lexal caulk. I used this primarily around the reinstalled exterior windows. I always read the information contained on a can,tube. Another caulk mentioned by a forum member was sika(might not be the total correct name.) What would be the particulars on this one?