New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 10
Default Hi-Lo in New Mexico

My husband and I decided to to start looking for either a Trailmanor or Hi-Lo and were lucky enough to find a 2001 27 ft Classic in pretty good shape. Now it's time to dive into the world of Hi-Lo and learn as much as we can about maintaining, repairing, enjoying the Hi-Lo. So feel free to share any tips. I'm sure I'll be on here a lot reading through a bunch of the older treads.
__________________

Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Riverside County, CA
Posts: 673
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
My husband and I decided to to start looking for either a Trailmanor or Hi-Lo and were lucky enough to find a 2001 27 ft Classic in pretty good shape. Now it's time to dive into the world of Hi-Lo and learn as much as we can about maintaining, repairing, enjoying the Hi-Lo. So feel free to share any tips. I'm sure I'll be on here a lot reading through a bunch of the older treads.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. We might be a little biased here on the forum, but I think you made the correct decision on Hi-Lo vs. Trailmanor. Our 2005 27T has just about every option that was available and we really enjoy the unit.
__________________

__________________
Fantastic Wife
2005 Toyota Tundra V-8 4.7L
2705T Tow Lite
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #3
sam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Niagara Falls,NY
Posts: 3,816
Default Welcome to the forum.

You have made a wise choice in getting a HiLo. Just curious as to what is your tow vehicle. Yes,spend lots of time reading back posts for maintenance tips. The how to operate videos are very good. We are here if you have any questions.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: here n there
Posts: 60
Default

Welcome the the forum, it's a great bunch of people and information. Learn all you can because where ever your HiLo takes you, folks will have curiosity and interest in it. We're headed to ABQ later this summer with ours to get tamales from El Modelo. Happy camping!!
underpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
You have made a wise choice in getting a HiLo. Just curious as to what is your tow vehicle. Yes,spend lots of time reading back posts for maintenance tips. The how to operate videos are very good. We are here if you have any questions.
We tow it with my husband's F150. I appreciate the help. First thing we've got to do is re do all the caulking. The New Mexico sun and dry air has dried it all out.
Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpsi View Post
Welcome the the forum, it's a great bunch of people and information. Learn all you can because where ever your HiLo takes you, folks will have curiosity and interest in it. We're headed to ABQ later this summer with ours to get tamales from El Modelo. Happy camping!!
I've found that to be true already. BTW, you should eat at La Salita while you are in ABQ. It's a small family owned Mexican joint and it is the best. You will love it.
Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:31 PM   #7
sam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Niagara Falls,NY
Posts: 3,816
Default Caulk recommendation

Go to Ace hardware or on line to get Lexal caulk. It costs about $8.00 a tube. Well worth the cost. Do not use silicone. Use Dicor lap seal around the AC unit/vents on your roof.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Go to Ace hardware or on line to get Lexal caulk. It costs about $8.00 a tube. Well worth the cost. Do not use silicone. Use Dicor lap seal around the AC unit/vents on your roof.
I'll go to Ace next week and pick it up. Thanks!
Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:35 PM   #9
sam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Niagara Falls,NY
Posts: 3,816
Default Where to get Dicor lap sealant.

Get this at your local RV store or on the internet. If I remember correcty Lexal comes in clear or white. Tomorrow DH is going to Tip the HiLo in many contortions until he gets all the cables lubed with break free. He says it takes him about 45minutes to do this. It is done once a year. Cheaper than having to replace the cables. We purchase break Free in the gun section at Walmart. It is a cleaner,lubricant and protector.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:27 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Get this at your local RV store or on the internet. If I remember correcty Lexal comes in clear or white. Tomorrow DH is going to Tip the HiLo in many contortions until he gets all the cables lubed with break free. He says it takes him about 45minutes to do this. It is done once a year. Cheaper than having to replace the cables. We purchase break Free in the gun section at Walmart. It is a cleaner,lubricant and protector.
Thank you. I am making a list of all the things I need Hubs to pick up from the store.
Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:40 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 10
Default

I wiped everything down and was pleasantly surprised by how clean it was. Hubs and I will be working on it all weekend getting it ready for our first outing. Expect tons of questions to follow...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (174.0 KB, 10 views)
Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #12
sam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Niagara Falls,NY
Posts: 3,816
Default Getting ready for your maiden voyage.

Camp close to home and or a Walmart in case you forget anything. Keep a small notebook to write down what you forgot. What I love about my HiLo is the small amt. of time it takes to do house keeping.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:36 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 10
Default

We are towing it with a 2014 Ford F-150 with the heavy duty towing package. 5.0 gas engine.
Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:50 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 10
Default

Yes, it was very quick and easy to clean from top to bottom. Good tip of the notepad. Thanks. We are planning on going out for a test run at a park about an hour from home this coming weekend if we can get the registration taken care of by then. The guy we bought it from had owned it for a year and never registered it. So now we are dealing with a big headache.
Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:31 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Riverside County, CA
Posts: 673
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
Yes, it was very quick and easy to clean from top to bottom. Good tip of the notepad. Thanks. We are planning on going out for a test run at a park about an hour from home this coming weekend if we can get the registration taken care of by then. The guy we bought it from had owned it for a year and never registered it. So now we are dealing with a big headache.
Been there, done that. When we bought our first used Hi Lo the previous owner did not register it correctly and California DMV said $600 + was due for previous years. However, I was lucky and I did not have to pay the back years registration.
__________________
Fantastic Wife
2005 Toyota Tundra V-8 4.7L
2705T Tow Lite
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:02 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 10
Default

my husband finally got it registered but boy was it a headache. It looks like we will finally get to take it out camping this weekend!
Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:43 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Riverside County, CA
Posts: 673
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
my husband finally got it registered but boy was it a headache. It looks like we will finally get to take it out camping this weekend!
Have a great campout!
__________________
Fantastic Wife
2005 Toyota Tundra V-8 4.7L
2705T Tow Lite
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:20 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: here n there
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
We are towing it with a 2014 Ford F-150 with the heavy duty towing package. 5.0 gas engine.
We also tow with at 2014 F150 5.0 liter and 3.55 rear end but with the standard tow package and a weight distributing hitch. Except for feeling a few random bumps in the road, I find myself checking mirrors to be sure the trailer is still back there! Have fun on the maiden voyage.
__________________

underpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Hi-Lo Trailers Worldwide or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
HiLoTrailerForum.com Copyright 2010
×