Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 04-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #1

Default Need help with vin #

I am new to the hi-lo camper but love the look and solidity. The previous owner lost the title and I can't find serial #. I've looked in every cabinet door, outside and inside. All I find is a 5 digit # on the tongue. By the floor plans it appears to be a 1978 or 1979. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Crazydemon6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:16 PM   #2
Site Team

If you can't find the VIN, I wonder if it's possible to get a duplicate title from the State where it was registered. I had to get a duplicate title from Arizona for a previous truck I owned when the title got lost somehow in the mail, during the change of ownership when I bought it. And, if the trailer was licensed, isn't the VIN on the registration?

I'm just thinking out loud, maybe this is not possible where you live.

- Jack

Old 04-15-2020, 08:26 PM   #3

JackandJanet That would work except the guy never registered it and threw away the previous owners paperwork
Old 04-15-2020, 11:19 PM   #4
Site Team

If you can't find the VIN (I've seen a few posts in this forum that it MIGHT be stamped somewhere on the tongue), you might be able to do a few mods to it and register it as a "homebuilt". Treeclimber, one of the other mods here said that's possible in Florida (where he lives). I think he's faced with a similar situation on a trailer he's rebuilding.

There HAS to be a way to register trailers like this! Yours is not the first thread that complains about not finding the VIN and having no paperwork. This tells me it's not a problem unique to HiLos either, it has to be happening to all trailers, and not just travel trailers either. Possibly, it also happens when someone finds a very old auto in a barn and restores it.

Perhaps your State's Motor Vehicle Department would be able to offer some advice, but it might be hard to come by during the Covid-19 shutdown.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydemon6977 View Post
I am new to the hi-lo camper but love the look and solidity. The previous owner lost the title and I can't find serial #. I've looked in every cabinet door, outside and inside. All I find is a 5 digit # on the tongue. By the floor plans it appears to be a 1978 or 1979. Any help would be appreciated thank you.
I titled a factory built trailer (for U-Haul) in MI that was sold without a VIN. The tag was too rusted to read. Sec of State even let me pick my own numbers.

Bring in a copy of the brochure to show the make, model, year and weight and bill of sale.

The number you found on the tongue may be it. That's where the U-Haul tag was. Have them do a search on that number to see if it shows up as that trailer.
Green River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #6

Default I might be able to help

I sold a Hilo to a family that had a broken cable. They were heading to MI with it and never came back to get the title. If you send me a photo of it and it's the same one I can see if I can find the title
Stephanie Druckenmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #7

Stephanie druckenmiller How long ago did you sell yours
Old 04-23-2020, 08:36 PM   #8

Last summer
Old 04-23-2020, 09:03 PM   #9

Our VIN was on the plate that listed the weight of the trailer and listed the PSI for the tires.
Elaine and Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Druckenmiller View Post
Last summer
I bought this one 1 1/2 years ago been doing repairs so never tried to register till now. Wish it was the one you sold.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine and Bill View Post
Our VIN was on the plate that listed the weight of the trailer and listed the PSI for the tires.
Mine doesn't have a plate with that info. It doesn't have any stickers or plates anywhere.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:38 PM   #12

I wish you luck
Old 04-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #13

Default Need Help With VIN

You may be able to contact the Highway Patrol in yours state for instructions on how to resolve it. In Missouri we can take a vehicle to the Highway Patrol to verify vin or apply for new title.
Rich.
2011 Harley Fltru
St Louis, MO
Imabrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:29 AM   #14
Site Team

Don't know if'll help but I brought my untitled/unregistered '86 up to NC, can't tell you how, but registering it as a home built in NC is pretty easy. So after the rebuild I'll register it in NC and take it back to FL and register it there. No yearly taxes that way.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:39 AM   #15

It's on the door side of the hitch. Should be a metal plate attached to side of tongue
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #16

I know you have looked everywhere but I asked Rob at J and R Repair and he said, "Some of the older models should have an additional plate located inside one of the interior cabinets. Like the wardrobe or even one of the kitchen cabinets. Hope that helps."
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:37 AM   #17
Site Team

RichR, even my '03 has them inside the sink cabinet, but this '86 had no cabinets left. But this could help others looking. I really wish Hi Lo had put some kind of permanent stamp somewhere. Never seen one yet on the A frame.
Ready for the season?
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote