Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

New Member Intros Say Hello! Tell us a little about yourself and your camper; we're fairly friendly :)

Old 09-08-2022, 06:18 AM   #1

Default New to us!

Good morning everyone,
We traveled all the way to Kentucky to get our little Hilo Towlite 19 foot from Paul and Pat who traveled from Wisconsin to meet us, It was a wild trip to get our new to us camper home but we made it. Lots happened during that trip and I'm so grateful to my Super Hero husband for taking care of everything and that sweet little farmer on the side of a dirt road who lent us him tire iron and a ramp to fix a flat.
Paul and Pat have become more than acquaintances they have become friends we would go and visit,
Question,,, my cables on the camper need to be adjusted. It seems to come down to hard and I would like to nip any issues from that in the bud. Does anyone have any advice?

Napa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 01:45 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napa View Post
Good morning everyone,
We traveled all the way to Kentucky to get our little Hilo Towlite 19 foot from Paul and Pat who traveled from Wisconsin to meet us, It was a wild trip to get our new to us camper home but we made it. Lots happened during that trip and I'm so grateful to my Super Hero husband for taking care of everything and that sweet little farmer on the side of a dirt road who lent us him tire iron and a ramp to fix a flat.
Paul and Pat have become more than acquaintances they have become friends we would go and visit,
Question,,, my cables on the camper need to be adjusted. It seems to come down to hard and I would like to nip any issues from that in the bud. Does anyone have any advice?
For your reading pleasure....

https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f22...djustment-125/

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 07:35 AM   #3

If it comes down hard I would think it may be maybe something with the fluid coming back into the reservoir . there is a bleeder valve on it but really if that is not tight would tell me it would not go up proper either.
Lwwilltravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:11 AM   #4
Site Team

I agree with willtravel - the top lowers when the lowering valve is opened, which sends the hydraulic fluid that is holding the top up back to the reservoir. There's no way to adjust the speed at which this happens, the valve is either open or closed. And, as he said, the manual lowering valve, if open, would keep the top from raising.

What do you mean by "lowering too hard"? There's nothing in the cable assembly that controls this. When lowering, the top should come down smoothly and rather quickly. I think mine drops fully in about 5 seconds.

- Jack
Old 09-21-2022, 04:49 PM   #5

Just a what-if: Suppose the bumpers between the top half and out-riggers were old or missing? When the top settled, it might make a loud thud which might sound like the top was coming down too hard. My 2509C had the bumpers on the top half misaligned with the outriggers but I caught this early upon purchasing the Hi-Lo direct from the factory. Just a suggestion. Beach

As a side note, the phone number for JandR (740-392-1260) did not work for me last night and I had my Hi-Lo at their business in Mt Vernon a few years back. Hope they are OK.
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:30 PM   #6
Site Team

That's a good catch, Dee. There should be black, hard rubber pads on the outriggers and my trailer also has grey pads on the bottom edge of the top half that mate with them. I suspect if they were missing (they DO wear out and can fall off), the top would make a rather loud thud when it met the bumpers.

I replaced two of my black pads with a hockey puck, that I cut in half with a saw so the installed parts would be the right thickness. They've held up pretty well, but will probably need to be replaced again soon.

Others have used a chunk of a tire carcass. That should hold up well too.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable adjustment, cables, help needed