Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #1

Default Can I change tire sizes?

Hello,
I just purchased a 1993 23ft Hi-Lo.
Can I change the 13 inch tires/wheels and put on either 14 or 15 inch?
Thank you for your help.
Regards,
David

DNeitzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! I don't know the answer to your question though.

If a larger wheel (rim) means a larger diameter tire, you need to see if it will still clear the top of your wheel well when the axle is bounced up, and if the tires will clear each other. Also, a larger diameter tire is probably wider, so is there width clearance in the wheel well?

You can find the diameters and widths of tires online - I believe Discount Tire or Tire Rack publishes these dimensions. Then, you have to measure your wheel wells and the distance between your tires.

I was able to put larger wheels and tires on my trailer by having a spacer between the frame and the axle added. The axle was also moved forward 3" which provided clearance from the step well on the curb side.

- Jack

Old 10-22-2017, 10:22 PM   #3

why would you want to? why go with bigger tires that are alot harder to change? just wondering? oh yeah forgot yada yada! lol
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #4

Maestro - bigger tires mean smoother/easier hauling, better load handling, less risk of failure due to big bumps/potholes, easier transition over low spots, better clearance, etc.

Look around at cars - have you noticed wheel size has grown dramatically over the last 30 years? Ever wonder why?
KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #5

I tried switching from 13s to 14s on my 2201. We ran into difficulties with the increased width that went with the increased diameter. WE got them on one side but not the other- and the difference was just 1/16in. Meaning- the wheel hubs on one side were 1/16 further out from the inside of the wheel well than the other. So there wasn't much room for error and even if the axles had been perfectly mounted- that would have left only 1/32 per side to play with. So----in my case, I couldn't do it. I was hoping for the extra 1 inch in lift and maybe pick up 1-1/2 mile per gal mileage----but they wouldn't fit. Went with a
d rated 13 radial and they have worked well. Later models had more room built into the wheel wells but if you have a model with original 13s- my guess is you will have to stay there unless you make serious modifications.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #6

i see your point. you are right! all you say is true, but in my situation 15's were not good,
but take a look at my pics on my thread and what i had to do to change a 15" on that. i went to 14's and skinnier. the tires on it were a nitemare. yea the new vehicle tires are way bigger but most are low profile. also they last longer due to less revolutions driving. i would have kept the 15's till i saw what they were doing to my wheel wells and then trying to change othem u have to let the air out of the tires to get them on and off on my camper. thanks
Old 10-23-2017, 08:26 PM   #7

Yep - every trailer is a little different Maestro - some you cna upgrade the wheels, some don't have the room (like yours).

It's all do what you can with what you got!
KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:31 PM   #8
sam

Default changing tire size

The family that had my HiLo before me owned a tire shop and had changed the tires. One tire was clearly defective and was rubbing the wheel well. A little wider tire didn't work. Had to fix the rub spot on the wheel well.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:23 AM   #9

ain't that the truth, and i aint got much to work with lol!
Old 10-24-2017, 12:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnottyRig View Post
Maestro - bigger tires mean smoother/easier hauling, better load handling, less risk of failure due to big bumps/potholes, easier transition over low spots, better clearance, etc.

Look around at cars - have you noticed wheel size has grown dramatically over the last 30 years? Ever wonder why?
For looks. Usually the overall tire diameter and width is similar but they keep using bigger wheels with lower profile tires. This is great if you have a Mustang or Corvette and want the ultimate in handling and care little about ride. Also sometimes it is for bigger brakes but I don't know anything normal that requires more than an 18" wheel or a properly designed 17" wheel. I've had cars/trucks with optional big wheels like 20" and they always ride worse, have lower performance, get worse mileage, and go through brake pads faster than the standard 17" wheel.

Somebody mentioned improved economy with larger trailer tires. That won't happen, if anything it will be worse. Every inch you raise the trailer you increase the frontal area 3/4 of a square foot. Also the smaller wheels usually have lower rolling resistance, look at what they have used on the Prius where economy is the primary goal.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #11
Site Team

Hersbird, I totally agree with you on larger tires causing an effective increase in frontal area. Even though the frontal area of the trailer doesn't actually change, there is a larger space underneath where turbulent drag increases. AND, you lift the front of the trailer relative to the Tow Vehicle, which puts that lifted front into the slipstream and out of the stagnation zone behind the TV.

I also agree that larger wheels on cares and trucks don't really do much except change the looks.

However, I think since a larger trailer tire spins at a lower RPM, I think it may actually have a lower rolling resistance than the smaller tire. The resistance to rotation drops as rotational speed decreases. I grant though, that a larger tire "footprint" may counter that small gain.

I DO know that a larger trailer tire will suffer a lower heat buildup since the rotational speed is less. It should wear longer for the same reason. AND, a biggie (for me) - the larger trailer tire has a significantly higher weight bearing rating.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:24 PM   #12

Agreed, 13's are a little small for a travel trailer, 14's are probably OK especially if you pick a higher load rating, 15's are about ideal for anything short of a massive 5th wheel which probably needs 16" 8 lug wheels and E range tires. Our work trucks (the USPS) run LT 195/75/14s for the last 30 years on 1/2 ton box vans, a fleet of 150,000 with millions of miles, and tires just aren't a problem.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:26 AM   #13

Thank you all for the input.
I decided to stick with the stock size.
DNeitzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:32 AM   #14

good choice! my change from 15's 275's to 14's 195;s couldln't be/get any better the 275's WAY TOO BIG FOR 15 FOOTER!