Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-29-2023, 12:12 AM   #1

Default Frustrating

We bought a 22 Towlite last year and stayed in it once last year. It towed well pulled on flat ground by our 2000 Toyota Tundra with a v 8 engine.
We dry camped that one time before putting it up for the Indiana winter.
This year we were preparing to take an extended vacation and it has been a challenge at best.

The water leaks. The water lines are some weird brittle plastic that breaks very easy and nobody I can find has the stuff. I thought about PEX but there are no fittings to adapt to the other stuff.

The awning was in terrible shape. I bought a new one and we changed it with little problem. The problem is the front sliding brace slides in a channel on an aluminum slide. That decided to break. At least we got it to roll it back up and lock it. I'm sure parts are going to be a thrill.

We like the camper. I think in the long run it's going to work out but this year the vacation has been ruined.

Maybe next year.

Old Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 11:15 PM   #2
sam

Default Welcome to the forum.

I feel your frustration. I hope someone comes along that can answer your plumbing problem. Perhaps someone is parting out a HiLo and you can get the awning parts you need. My last trip out DH went over a curb and riped the sidewall of a tire. $100.00 later for a new tire. Our roof on our 1996 Classic is getting tired. Sure wish J&R was still in business. DH used Kool seal and externabond tape. We have been in some extreme rain and hail storms. No leaks!! Hang in their better days are coming.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 09:51 AM   #3

Hi Dave,

I believe the pipe that you have is grey and called polybutylene (PB). Here is an article that may help you

https://www.thespruce.com/polybutylene-pipe-2718633

I have run into similar issues (leaks at crimped connectors, pin holes in the pipe, etc) and have used "sharkbite" connectors or similar to connect the old grey pipe to new PEX pipe. I have cut the old pipe clean with a small hack saw, cleaned the edges and then pushed on a sharkbite connector to connect the PB pipe to PEX.

Most of my issues have been on the hot side of the system. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
97towlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 01:41 PM   #4
Site Team

I like 97towlite's suggestion. I've used Sharkbite connectors in several places in my home, to adapt copper to pex or pvc to pex and it has worked flawlessly. If I were doing your project, I'd try to replace as much of the old piping with pex that I could. Pex seems very durable and is easy to work with.

- Jack
Old 09-01-2023, 03:30 AM   #5

Welcome to the club Old Dave, I too ran into the same problem with the water lines where I had a leak at the bathroom faucet and at the kitchen sink faucet!! My HiLo has those same brittle and weird sized "pex" pipes that NO plumbing supply store anywhere near me has or have heard of!! Very frustrating!! Home Depot was not much help, they said that size pipe is no longer used. "97towlite" is correct as far as the type of "pex" pipe HILO used back then (POLYBUTYLENE), - good luck finding any Shark Byte Fittings that will work with those pipes!! It happens to be that 'Polybutylene' pipes are just slightly thinner than anything that Shark Byte has to offer (at least not locally anyway) that would seal properly!! My problem was that the washers were old and dried up at the faucet connection, no matter how much I would tighten the fitting nut, it would always start leaking!! and there is no way of getting those washers out to replace them!! Believe me I tried!! Ultimately I had to cut those water lines and insert "Barbed" fittings in them lines by heating them up with a Heat Gun to get the fitting to slide in there!! I then used crimping rings a crimping tool to get it all to seal. So far I havent noticed any leaks, but what a nightmare!! I don't want to discourage you. With some elbow grease and a lot of patience...you can fix your water pipes. Hope this helps, good luck.
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 10:59 AM   #6
Site Team

Instead of crimping rings and a special "crimping tool", you should be able to seal a barbed fitting like Angel described using the stainless steel auto coolant line hose clamps like these: https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Adj...4&sr=8-12&th=1 You can get them in practically any size needed at any auto parts store. I've used them this way and they work fine.

- Jack
Old 09-06-2023, 02:26 AM   #7

Jack,
Stainless steel auto coolant line hose clamps were the first things I tried after finally inserting the barbed fittings into the lines, but the connection would still seep and drip slightly. These older "PEX" style hoses are very stiff and dried up making it difficult to compress with regular hose clamps; they would strip trying to tightned them up to get a good seal, that's why I had to use the crimpping method.
I would love to someday replace all the water line hoses in our old HiLo with the newer type of PEX hose, but for now...fix and replace as needed.
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 03:07 PM   #8

I had one break under my sink in my 1990 22 footer and went to Home Depot and a clerk showed me the connector to put the pipe back together. The pipe just plugs ( or snaps into) the new fitting and you are done. No glue, etc
Freddiefreeloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 04:55 PM   #9

Default Linda in AZ

In lieu of an awning on my 2002 24D Silver Edition, I purchased a screened canopy at Walmart. I priced awnings and the canopy ($70) was the logical choice, plus it keeps critters and bugs out!
lcianciolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 04:59 PM   #10

Try contacting etrailer.com and/or Camping World.
Both are extremely helpful and have guided us with satisfaction.
lcianciolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 11:22 PM   #11

If your awning is a Dometic unit, parts for the arms should be readily available - we've had both a hinge and a slider latch break on our 2306C over the last couple of years and had no problems getting replacements for both
Old 09-12-2023, 08:46 PM   #12

Default Awning Problem Solved

One highlight of every camping trip ever is arguing about putting awning in or leave it out lol!
We decided to get a sailcloth and poles. Reminds me of the tent days lol.
Mostly we dont even use it, we are usually off hiking or seeing or doing and really just eat and sleep in the camper
Happy Trails🦋

Hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote