General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #1

Default HiLo renno

I just bought a 97 22L
It needs lots of work.
One thing I will do is remove the toilet permanently. Black water is gross, smells, hard to clean and I do not have passengers that require to poo in the camper.
How much will it lessen the re-sale value if I do not replace it should I ever sell it, or should I plan to be ready to put it back in one day? There is no right answer to this, just opinions of each individual I guess.
Has anyone done this?

Also, I plan to remove the giant couch/bed at the front. It is huge and not much of a bed. This will open up a lot of space and reduce tongue weight a little.
What did you do with the space if you did this? (for those that have)

I will be traveling in this for work and living alone, with just day visitors and rarely friends to stay the night. I don't need so much seating, bedding and people area, looking to make it more comfortable for living in.

What have any of you done as far as taking out the factory installs and making it custom?

I have removed all curtains (smoker smell) and blinds, and the divider for bathroom, again odors. Planning to order HomeDepot blinds instead of the day/night shades, and also put curtain fabric down the sides and top of blinds, and maybe just curtains for the smaller front windows and forward window.

marininn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
sam

Default Blinds from Home Depot

You will not be able to order slot blinds from HoMe Depot as the header is too wide to come down the wall. I already made this mistake. I tried ordering from an internet blind place. I told them numerous times that I needed a narrow bracket. When the blinds came they wouldn't fit. They had the conversation on tape. I had to donate the new unopened blinds to the salvation and send them the donation receit. I ended up rattle can painting the old blinds. I needed new rods for my curtains(original 1990) and got the rods at Kmart. I had to use some of the old hardware because of the dimension going down the wall. Search back posts for replacement curtain ideas that others have done. I wonder if an ozone generator would take care of the cigarette smells. Best of luck with your repairs.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #3

Did u get 1 inch or 2 inch headers? Looks like they have 1 inch that should fit easily.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:53 PM   #4
sam

Default New blinds

I will be over to my HiLo one day soon and will measure. I will let you know what the correct measurement is.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #5

You must have ordered giant blinds, as there is no reason the 1 inch should not easily fit down, the factory curtains are bigger than that.
No need to measure, i can't imagine any issues.

Couch gone, lots of floor space now. Bike will be happy to be inside.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:15 AM   #6

We took the dinette out for more room and made an "L" shaped couch out of it for more floor space.

I think for resale you would do well to have a toilet.

We didn't have any blinds when we got our Hi-lo but we bought those little round curtain rods and attached them to the wall with I guess they are plastic pipe brackets. They hold the rods close to the wall so they don't get in the way when we lower the Hi-Lo. The curtains we just pull up out of the way when we lower it.
Snappy Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:34 PM   #7
sam

Default Don't buy blinds from Home Depot

DH says the header on the standard blinds are a 1inch cube. 1x1x1x1x1. New blinds come with at least a 1 and 1/4 header that won't fit when you lower the HiLo. I ended up loosing a 15% stocking fee. Just trying to get you to not make the same mistake. I could see how a close fitting round curtain knob would work. My curtains have a top piece that goes on a round rod.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
DH says the header on the standard blinds are a 1inch cube. 1x1x1x1x1. New blinds come with at least a 1 and 1/4 header that won't fit when you lower the HiLo. I ended up loosing a 15% stocking fee. Just trying to get you to not make the same mistake. I could see how a close fitting round curtain knob would work. My curtains have a top piece that goes on a round rod.
Odd. I can fit probably 3 inches between the walls.
The daynight shades I took out are about the same thickness as the blinds hanging from my house window, and then there were curtain things over that.
Sounds like you have a smaller gap between walls than does mine.
I will double check the measurements just incase, but a 3 inch gap and a 1 1/4 inch blind does not leave room for mystery…
I can't imagine why yours did not fit.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:49 PM   #9
sam

Default Different measurements

My unit is a 1990 25ft. Classic. Your is a 97. Could be different. Measure and maybe get a cheap plastic blind at walmart and try one before you change them all. I know you said you were going to make curtains. Try looking at back posts for ideas.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:13 AM   #10

I like your thinking on making mods that benifit the way you want to camp.

One thing to remember when removing or adding weight is the balance. A lot of calculations have gone into your trailer having the proper tongue weight. In removing the couch you will save weight but you will be upsetting the balance and may have a trailer that will be difficult to tow or possibly dangerous.

Be smart for your and others safety!

Bravada is offline   Reply With Quote