Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Plumbing, Water, Tanks and Waste Fresh water, storage tanks, faucets and fixtures.

Old 08-16-2023, 07:03 PM   #1

Default Can't find leak

Have a 1997 21L Hilo. When hooked up to water source, water poured out underneath the side of the trailer that the sink and water heater are on but there was not much water inside the camper. So, I can't determine where the leak is. Thinking of removing the water heater but looks like a major job. Any thoughts?

Suspenderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 09:28 AM   #2
Site Team

You've going to have to look at the piping that runs from the water filling port to the sinks, toilet, etc. You should find two valves, one in the hot water line and the other in the cold water line. They are there to drain those lines for winterizing and I suspect at least one of them is open. I think you can access these valves through a door on the side of the trailer.

- Jack

Old 08-17-2023, 05:18 PM   #3

My Hi-Lo is a C2509 and the drain valves (Jack mentioned) are in the rear bathroom closet. The lines drain under the trailer. I would think the valves would be somewhere inside the Hi-Lo to keep them from freezing. Just a guess! Beach
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 11:32 PM   #4

Hello, you mentioned "there was not much water inside the camper"; are you referring to a water leak inside your camper floor or not enough water pressure to your faucets?
I had a small leak coming from the kitchen sink faucet but not much visual wetness inside, I could see water dripping outside/underneath near the kitchen faucet area. It turned out to be the Pex line connector to the sink faucet kept coming loose. Water leaks will follow a line path of path downward; in my case it followed the Pex line down towards the floor and leak to ouside. I tightened Pex line to faucet (for the 2nd time) and so far OK. I believe the "O" ring sealing washer on the Pex line has deteriorated but it is not replaceable on my older (1989) Hilo Classic, it is part of the line/compression nut.
Hope this helps.
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 03:55 PM   #5

Hi all - one idea that I'll mention but apologize for in advance. Just in case this is a new camper to you all... since it poured out by the water heater, any chance the heater plug is out for winterizing?

It's the sort of thing that I'd do

Also in the garage, some stuff to pull it:
1999 3/4 ton 'Burb
1993 Roadmaster wagon (well, it probably won't pull it)
r67northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 04:23 PM   #6

On my 1990 22 footer I had a leak that was visible from outside under the kitchen sink area. I pulled up the sink cabinet flooring and found the water line was leaking. These lines run between the camper flooring and the cabinet flooring. Home Depot has kits for a very simple repair of these water lines.
Freddiefreeloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 08:02 PM   #7

Thank you one and all for advice.
I apologize for incomplete information. When I turned the water on, I witnessed a waterfall at least 3 or 4' in length along the edge of the HiLo on the side where the water lines and water heater are located. There was a little water inside but not significant. I can't find the water lines inside or how to remove the water heater.
Suspenderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:03 PM   #8

Remove the kitchen sink cabinet bottom and there is a 2 or 3 inch space between the bottom flooring of the cabinet itself and the actual camper flooring and you will find the water lines that are inside the camper. When mine was leaking most of the water was running off at the outside edge of the camper and I could see none inside the camper.

Freddiefreeloader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing leak