Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 03-22-2018, 05:50 AM   #1

Default New Owner 1985 Funlite

Hi,

My name is Gregg and I am a new owner of a 1985 Funlite Hi-Lo camper.

My trailer is in reasonably good shape but it has been used a lot and has had numerous modifications.

My questions are as follows.

1. My bunk bed was removed and a drop down storage cabinet put in its place. Are there any specs on building a new bunk bed? I can fashion the hinges and legs without too much problem. My issue seems to be building the bunk itself so it is strong enough and shallow enough to fit into the required space and still be able to open the cabinet doors on the front of the trailer when it is in the up position. I really would like to install a bunk otherwise this camper really only sleeps 2 people. My layout is currently 2 bench seats with the table located on the front wall of the camper.

2. Is there are a drain valve for the fresh water tank? (or do I have to pump out all the fresh water for draining the tank)

3. City Water Hookup? I know how to fill the fresh water tank but is there a way to hook a hose up for city water when I am at a campsite? Where is that connection located?

4. When the trailer is fully raised it seems to be an inch or two too short. How do I adjust the height of where it stops?

5. Did these trailers come with any stabilizer jacks installed? Or did they simply use the portable type on each of the 4 corners?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gregg

Gmcgough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #2

Welcome Gregg-

I could answer many of your questions, but, an 85 is about 15 years older than mine so I am not sure if the answers would be germaine. Others will be along- but give it a bit of time as it is early in the season for many of us and not everyone is back to checking on a regular basis.

I'll leave the bunk bed to someone else. Mine never had one.

The drain valve for my freshwater tank is on the front curbside of my freshwater tank which, itself, is in the front of my trailer. It is a little cock valve and it should drain the tank.

City water hook up on mine is on the drivers side of the trawiler- accessible when the trailer is up. I've seen them located mid coach or towards the the front .

do a search for "adjusting cables" on the forum. Many posts on the subject. Also- check the library for a manual near your year. Anything within a couple of years will work.

I believe stabalizer jacks were an option. You may not have them installed.

Good luck- Rick

PS- try this one:

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...o-models-3467/

or this one (better pictures)

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-classic-2016/

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #3

Greg I may be able to help.
I have a 85 funchaser 20'.

1. I don't have a bunk bed. I converted a jack knife couch/bed into a bed like you have now. 2 bench seats and table that becomes the bed. I also have another bed with another dining table.
2.look under the trlr, there should be s small spigot to open and close. If it has a water tank. You did mention numerous mods.
3. driver side, near bottom there is a female hose flange to screw in the hose. Near water tank/ fill. Then you would be on city pressure.
4. others answered well.
5. There are no stabilizer jacks installed. get the cheap pyramid style that screw in /out for adjusting.
NOTE: these are NOT for lifting or leveling of the trlr. These are only to be used to stabilize. Level first and then install the jacks.

How much plumbing has been moved/replaced. water pump? tub?

hope that helps
steve
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:51 AM   #4

Thanks for the help Hilltool and Renoites. I have done a bit of research and came up with the following.

1. Bunk Bed - I cant find any information on bunk beds. I cant figure out how to make a swing away bed that will also allow me to get into the cabinets on the front wall of the trailer. If anyone has any photos to share it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Freshwater Drain Valve - I found it under the trailer on passenger side

3. City water hookup - There is something that looks like it under the trailer, drivers side, behind the rear wheel. Do I need a shutoff valve closes off the freshwater tank? Or does the waterpump act as a shutoff valve?

4. Adjusting height of raised trailer. I found the write up......got it.

5. Stabilizer jacks - my trailer has none. I ordered some low profile jacks for the back bumper. If it is stable enough then I wont worry about jacks for the front.

I also found a 30 year old solar panel on the roof. I had to completely rewire it but working great now.

Where is the fuse box for the 12v system? I found the 120v breakers but not the fuse box. Is it in the power converter/charger?

Gregg
Gmcgough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:18 PM   #5

Gregg- Im not sure what you found behind the wheels. : " City water hookup - There is something that looks like it under the trailer, drivers side, behind the rear wheel. Do I need a shutoff valve closes off the freshwater tank? Or does the waterpump act as a shutoff valve?"

The freshwater tank supplies water to everything only when the pump is pulling it from the tank. There is some type of valve built into the city water system that stops the water from forcing its way into the pump etc- but I am unsure how it works. It would be beneficial to you, and us, if you take photos of stuff you are unsure about and post them. To post- you would click on the "go advanced" button at the bottom of the "reply" or "post " window and follow directions for uploading a photo off your computer or phone.

I have seen fuses boxes located everywhere depending on model and year. Mine is located under the front couch- in the same general area as the water pump and converter. I think some have found them inside the dinette seats and others back by bathroom.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote