Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Library > Reference Library > Electrical
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-30-2024, 06:16 PM   #1

Default Raising top if battery dead

I am looking at a way to raise the top in case the battery dies. Does anyone have a 12v jumper or backup that you use? I tried one 12v jumper that says it has 1750 amps but won't work unless the battery is low and can't test it as my battery is not low right now.

tcongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:54 PM   #2
Site Team

tcongdon - I'm a bit doubtful that a starting battery jumper pack will provide the Amperage you''d need to raise the top. Those things are designed to provide enough battery charge to "jump start" an automobile or, if you get a really hefty one, it can start a pickup truck or possibly even a diesel. Yours won't supply the rated 1750 Amps for very long, and I don't think it will get the top much more that a few inches to a foot up. It does not fully charge an autp starting battery, but DOES supply enough power to spin the starting motor long enough for the engine to start, if nothing else is wrong. Once the engine is turning, the alternator continues to supply the DC power needed to help the battery more fully charge and to power the other things in the car.

I think your best bet, if the battery in the trailer is low, is to connect it to your tow vehicle's battery with long, heavy jumper cables and charge it that way for 5-10 minutes with the tow vehicle's engine running. Then, turn the tow vehicle's ignition OFF before you attempt to raise the top. This will keep a low battery voltage condition, as the pump motor exerts it's high drain, from damaging your tow vehicle's electronics.

You will probably need to attach some short battery cables to the trailer battery to help you make the jumper cable hookup. And, you will need to apply a good insulating cover to their ends when they are not in use.

If anyone has tried raising the top with the portable jumper packs and had success, I'm happy to be told I'm wrong.

My trailer batteries are being continuously charged during the day by my 300 Watt solar panels. And, I can connect the battery charging output of my generator to the trailer battery if needed too. Finally, I can manually raise the top enough to attach jumper cables to the battery if needed.

- Jack

Old 04-04-2024, 03:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcongdon View Post
I am looking at a way to raise the top in case the battery dies. Does anyone have a 12v jumper or backup that you use? I tried one 12v jumper that says it has 1750 amps but won't work unless the battery is low and can't test it as my battery is not low right now.
For me I installed a quick connect jumper
509699-001 QuickCable Jumpstart Connector Conductor Post (Each)
If I need I can jump from the truck with a normal jumper cable
I installed it so I can access it from the front of the battery box where the opening is to hand jack it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23. battery jumper block.jpg (62.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 24. battery jumper.jpg (161.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 26. batteries dual.jpg (218.0 KB, 7 views)
Lwwilltravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 04:52 PM   #4
Site Team

Yup, that works!

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote