So we now own the '71 Hi-Lo
.... all ours in all it's glory
Last Friday I went with a friend to go pick it up. We took his 3/4 ton pickup, a compressor, spare magnet lights, a couple of jacks and other spare gear along. Since the unit has been up for the last two years, cover with fairly deep snow at times, I was most concerned about lowering the top section, and the possibility of a tire blowing out on the way home (1.5hr drive each way).
When we go to the trailer, the first thing we did was see about the top, and sure enough, it wouldn't move in any direction, up or down, and the release cable seems frozen. So I followed the suggestions of a number of folks, (in this thread
) and it seems that Fireballsocal was the winner, the pump was low on fluid. We added about 1/3 of a quart of tranny fluid, and tried the top again and after whinning for a second, the roof lifted up, and the release moved freely. It lowered down just fine. (we did end up using jumper cables to give the battery some more life).
Once down, we hooked it up to my buddies truck, used a adapter to try the lights and none of them worked. We were also scared that the brakes might lock up, being they have sat so long without use. So we hooked up a set of magnet mount lights, and ran the cabling under the unit, solving that problem for the ride home.
We added a lot of air to the tires, they were both down to about 5psi.
We headed home with the unit, stayed about 60 on the highway, and had no issues at all. The trailer rolled down the road great.
Once home we started really looking it over. (probably would have been best to do that before we bought it but.... oh well). The roof lifted right up, no problem other then having to jump it off my Durango battery. The trailer is solid. The frame and floors are in excellent shape, no soft spots, not serious rust. The roof is a different matter. The chalking around the shower vent pipe has a 1/4" gap between it and the pipe, and water has just poured in there. The ceiling vent is leaking as well, it is cracked and out of shape on the left side, also allowing water to get past it. The rest of the roof looks good, and pressing down on it, it does not have a spongy soft feel. There are minor cracks in the roof covering, in the front, but they are surface only, not going all the way through the sealing material. (I have no idea what the material is).
The inside is dirty, but serviceable. The inside ceiling is trashed. Needs to be completely replaced. No inside lights work, and I have no idea about the appliances yet. The batter is dead, and once I got it home and actually got a good look at it, the sides are bulging. I plugged the unit into my AC from the house, but I seem to have no power at all.
While under the camper, I found that the trailer lights and brake cabling is broken in at least two places and need to be replaced. The tires are very weather cracker, and both need to be replaced. I haven't gotten to the bearings or brakes, yet, will do that on a weekend day, when I have some time.
My first order of business is to get the unit weather tight. Once I have all the leaks repaired, my wife can start on cleaning up the inside, I can start on the inside ceiling. I will get the unit level and off the tires, pull the rims, and get new tires put on. I plan to bring it to my friends and have him go through the brakes and bearings for me, since he actually knows what he is doing. I am hoping that I can get the unit painted before we get snow, the paint is flaking off the sides, and really want the sheet metal protected against the winter months. I do plan to put up a temp car port of sorts to make it so I can lift the unit, and keep it clear of snow during the winter.... we will see how much time I have to put into this.
So that is where the project is, and where I am starting from, I will keep this thread updated as I work on the unit, and will try to add pictures of the restore as it is going