Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 06-09-2022, 07:51 AM   #1

Red face Help with brakes and wheel bearings

I was getting ready to go camping and found my 1998 Towlite (24'-dual axle) needs new brakes and wheel bearings. Anyone know what size I need and the best place to order them from. Thanks!

TedL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:58 AM   #2
Site Team

I've ordered brakes and bearings from etrailer.com, and I recommend them as a source.

I got self-adjusting brake assemblies, rather than the ones that needed manual adjusting that came on the trailer. They've worked very well. As far as size goes, you can measure the diameter once you take the hub apart on one of your wheels. I think that's the dimension you need. I believe mine were 10", but yours may be different. Get the whole assembly, not just the brake pads.

I think I measured my bearings too, (just the outer one) with the hub apart. I would not get the "bearing buddy" kind that are supposed to make lubrication easier. Everything I've read about them says they don't work well and are not reliable.

If you take the bearings out of your wheels and inspect them, if they are not scored, they can be re-used. They just need lubrication with bearing grease. You WILL need new seals though.

You CAN get the bearings from an automotive store, but etrailer has good prices and they sell quality parts.

- Jack

Old 06-10-2022, 08:36 PM   #3

Thanks so much for the good info and web site. I have to replace the bearings and the brakes. It was difficult getting the brake covers off because the bearings were stuck on the axle spindle. I think I have it now. Again, thanks for the reply and the help.
TedL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:50 PM   #4

Default Help with brakes

Ted if you power wash the beings you take out. Inspect for wear blow out with a air hose blow gun . If you have a vacuum sealer (the kind you use in the kitchen for food sealing)you can place your bering with some wheel bering grease in the pouch and vacuum shut it will pack the grease in the bering for you. I did this to have my extra berings ready while on the road in case of emergency. Hope this helps.
chris gilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:09 PM   #5

Chris is a genus!
The Ohioian is offline   Reply With Quote