Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 04-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #1

Default Made it home

Made it home last week. Took the trailer to a repair facility yesterday as I have decided to file a claim and get some of the repairs done better than I would do them. Most, if not all, are things I believe I could do, but I lack good facilities, all the tools, and patience to complete it in a professional way.

A few other thoughts about Hi-Los after this trip:

In spite of the usual annoyances of screws working lose inside etc, I continue to be pleasantly surprised with the build quality of the trailer. I took it on some VERY rough mountain roads in the Fort Davis, TX area and it held up pretty well, including the fact I was able to “bend” it back in shape after the accident to a degree that it was still usable.

The last days of the trip included driving with formidable cross winds, generally 25mph range with higher gusts, including some very gusty mountain passes in northern NM and a dust storm in south east Co. that made me pull off the road. One night we camped in 45 mph winds, though I had the sense to park oriented length wise to the wind. The one time I felt I was going to blown off the road it was the 1/2 ton Pick Up that had me worried, not the trailer. In fact, I believe it was the HI-LO that kept the truck from being blown on the shoulder. So as much as folks like to highlight the gas mileage from towing the lower profile, to me it is all about the low wind resistance from the side. We shared a campground with a family one evening who had pulled over for the day because of the winds on their 25 foot travel trailer- and were continuing their trip at night when the winds had died. I had no such issues.

It would do everyone well to give some thought as to what they would do if they were in some type of mishap that would damage the door to the trailer and make it inoperable while in the down position. 
From now on we will certainly carry an “overnight” bag IN THE TOW VEHICLE, in case such a crazy scenario would arise. A “remote” switch for getting the unit “up” isn’t a bad idea, either, in case you cannot access the up-down switch. Been there.

And, thanks for all the support offered from this group while I was on our private version of a “Chevy Chase vacation”.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #2

Food for thought. I am going on a two month long trip starting in June. So backup camping in case of a Hilo mishap is wise. I have a tent that fits on the back of my truck. I wasn't planning on taking it, but I think I will now.

Wannafishmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #3
Site Team

Fish - That's a long trip! If you haven't already done it, I'd advise a weekend trip close by beforehand to shake out the bugs. We found our battery was bad on our inaugural trip, and our trailer was brand new!

This also gives you a chance to discover all the things you wish you had taken with you.

- Jack
Old 04-15-2016, 02:13 PM   #4

Fish

Actually , I DO usually carry a tent for back up but I had my backpacking tent along instead of the 4 person. With the dog and wife the four "man" dome would have been preferable had I gone that route and it doesn't take up any more room in the back of the truck than the two man does.

4x4
Old 04-15-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
Site Team

Good advice from both Rick and Jack. "Check out camping" turns up all kind of things. We forgot the spaghetti tongs! As well as an assortment of spices. I found my tool box was grossly inadequate. Screen spline tool? But no duct tape? Plastic spoons and knives but no forks. After about seven years of serious camping, we finally got our do-do together. Really like the idea of an overnight bag in the TV.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Good advice from both Rick and Jack. "Check out camping" turns up all kind of things. We forgot the spaghetti tongs! As well as an assortment of spices. I found my tool box was grossly inadequate. Screen spline tool? But no duct tape? Plastic spoons and knives but no forks. After about seven years of serious camping, we finally got our do-do together. Really like the idea of an overnight bag in the TV.
Tree
And the more times you go camping, the more things you will find missing and add to your "must get list"
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:47 PM   #7
sam

Default Made it home.

I know you are glad to be home. Seems like every camping trip/site is somewhat different. It is good to have insurance on your tow vehicle and HiLo. The over night bag reminds me of the things I had my DH carry in the winter time to work in case he got stranded somewhere. We called it the blizzard bag. Only once he had a two hr. comute home from work. Should have taken 45minutes.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #8

Default some final photos

here are some photos of what we will be trying to repair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bent bracket damaged box.jpg (57.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg broken awning support.jpg (42.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg hinge and frame dmg.jpg (44.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg damaged stabalizer screw.jpg (70.6 KB, 8 views)

4x4
Old 04-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #9

and a few more:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg damage door skin hinge and frame.jpg (43.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg door damage 3.jpg (40.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg chipped pulley.jpg (46.9 KB, 7 views)

4x4