Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 06-14-2020, 05:06 PM   #1
jpq

Default Pre-purchase inspector near Dallas/Ft. Worth

Newbie here, recently retired, my wife and I want to give trailer camping vacation a try. I only recently heard of the Hi-Lo brand, like some of the major features on the pop up, and hoping this forum can recommend a good pre-purchase inspector who is familiar with the brand and models. With no previous experience, I wouldn't try to inspect one on my own. I'm in the middle of Dallas/Ft. Worth, and would rather trust this forum more than dealership recommendations. Thanks.

jpq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:31 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpq View Post
Newbie here, recently retired, my wife and I want to give trailer camping vacation a try. I only recently heard of the Hi-Lo brand, like some of the major features on the pop up, and hoping this forum can recommend a good pre-purchase inspector who is familiar with the brand and models. With no previous experience, I wouldn't try to inspect one on my own. I'm in the middle of Dallas/Ft. Worth, and would rather trust this forum more than dealership recommendations. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum, fellow Texan! Plenty of knowledge on here. This should get you started. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum.

This was taken from NDgent's post here on the forum. It is a great go-by list. You can do a search of thinking about buying and find his post to read it first hand.

Basically, start with the visual items –
1. Exterior
• Look for water stains and discoloration on inside walls and around ceiling anywhere vents, skylights, windows, etc. exist.
• Push and prod with your hand on the inside walls for soft spots (which could indicate a water leak and a damaged or rotten interior wall).
• Check for bubbles in the wallpaper (a sign of delimitation or water intrusion)
2. Interior cleanliness of the unit-
• Look for water stains and discoloration on inside walls and around ceiling anywhere vents, skylights, windows, etc. exist.
• Push and prod with your hand on the inside walls for soft spots (which could indicate a water leak and a damaged or rotten interior wall).
• Check for bubbles in the wallpaper (a sign of delimitation or water intrusion)
3. Test appliance functions –
• lights
• fans
• refrigerator
• air conditioner
• heater
• water pump
• range hood
• stovetop
• oven (if equipped)
• microwave (if equipped)
• stereo (if equipped)
4. Lift System-
• Does the unit raise and lower properly
• Check the lift system for hydraulic leaks (puddle under the trailer)
• Check the lift cables to see if they are in good shape and not frayed
• Check the seal between the upper and lower body halves for tears or damage
5. fill the tanks to the top and check for leaks
6. Battery
7. Solar Panel (if equipped)

Hi-Lo specific parts are available at the links below.

Home - JR REPAIR

https://hilotrailerparts.webs.com/apps/webstore/

Towing guides....

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:19 AM   #3
jpq

Default Pre-purchase inspector near Dallas/Ft. Worth

Thank you, Mr. Reyes, for pulling up the inspection items I should look for. After looking these over, I will still want an experienced inspector to take a look. Does anyone know of an inspector in or near D/FW?
Old 06-16-2020, 08:17 PM   #4

Default Inspection

JPG:

Just an idea for you, may be worth exactly what it costs you...

I wonder if it might work if you hire a mobile RV repair shop to do an inspection on your behalf? They're in and around RVs all day, surely they could spend an hour and be able to give you a good assessment. Look for one with good reviews and that might be as good as you can do from a distance.

Good luck!
piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:17 AM   #5
jpq

Excellent suggestion. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:12 AM   #6

I live in north Fort Worth ( Summerfield Addition) and bought my 22 ft. 1990 model 2 years ago when I turned 77 years old. Never had a camper before. Have done a lot of changes and repairs to it ( I did the work ), to get it like we wanted it. A lot was not actually necessary but it keeps me occupied while at home and we love it when we travel. Not really difficult to work on if you have a little mechanical ability. It pulls perfectly and easy to set up at the RV parks. Wife loves all the windows to see out of, especially when we are in Galveston or on down the coast. I like the size since I can legally park it in my driveway ( in City of Fort Worth) and do not pay storage fees. Anyway, I think you will enjoy a Hi-Lo and there are some really great places to stay close by here in Texas.

In past 2 years I have only seen a couple of these for sale by individuals. You may have to travel a little distance when you do find one. Think you will enjoy owning one. I know that I would never consider selling mine. I also found a lot of good ideas and some good advise on this forum the past couple of years.
Freddiefreeloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:33 AM   #7
jpq

Thanks, Freddie. Very encouraging.

Tags
inspector