Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #1

Default My Hi Lo tires

I got a close look at the tires that came with my "new" 2209T. They seem to be in pretty good shape. I'll take an even closer look soon.

What I found suprised me. I expected to find 4 china tires on it. Instead there are 4 Good Year Marathons and two of the Marathons were made in the USA. Unfortunately, the other two were made in China.

Both USA Marathons were mounted on the roadside. Both Chinathons were on the curbside. I haven't looked at the spare yet.

One of the USA Marathons was made 4408. I don't remember the other one.

The two chinathons were made within 2 weeks of each other, 0808 and 1008.

Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
Site Team

I hate to give you this advice, but I think you should be looking at getting new tires soon. Trailer tires are not designed to be used until their tread is gone. They lose significant sidewall strength after about 2 years and, as I recall, should ALWAYS be replaced after 5 years, period. Your 2008 tires are 4 years old. That makes them questionable in my book.

The OEM tires (Goodyear Matathons) both failed on my trailer in their second year with only about 5,000 miles on them. They failed due to chord separation. If you read some stories about tire blowouts on a trailer, you will want to do everything you can to avoid that experience! Fortunately, mine just swelled so badly one started rubbing on the frame and a passing motorist alerted me to the problem before they actually "popped".

- Jack