Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 03-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #1

Default Hi-Lo Roof maintenance

Hello all, I have a ? about painting, sealing or the best methods for maintaining the roof on my Classic 22 Hi-Lo. Please advise if you can. Here's the situation, the roof I believe is aluminum, and it appears to have some small corrosion dimples rising thru the existing paint.
Any suggestions on the best way to paint or seal this exposed flat area would be appreciated. To my knowledge the roof does not leak now, I just want it to be in top shape to avoid problems when camping.
Thanks.

RickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:21 AM   #2

Check out Kool Seal Elastomeric Roof Coating that is made for painted metal roofs. It is a rubber like paint that expands and contracts with the roof. I think it is a bit pricey but cheaper in the long run.

Let's wait to see what others have to say also.

RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #3

Default roof

Kool seal is the best product to seal the entire roof with when you start gitting oxidation wholes in the roof.

You will need to clean the roof very well, removing any thing that would prevent the cool seal from sticking to the roof. Cool seal is a product that will seal any small wholes and can be used to seal around vents,, antanas, etc.
You will paint it on covering the entire roof. use tape to make a clean line along the edges to prevent drips. remove the tape after about 2 hours, and let set another 6 hours before you pull the trailer. Make sure It is no posibility of rain before you start as rain before it drys completly will damage the sealant.

The type of things that cause oxidation wholes is water between the foam and roof let stand for long amount of time. covering the trailer with a tarp that will not let any mosture evaprate from the roof. Or letting the trailer set through the winter covered with leaves as they will hold mosture on the roof and cause oxidation.

keeping clean with a good wax job and keeping the roof sealed and removing any thing that will hold mostrue on the metal will prevent any problem with oxidation.
Sam
Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #4

Default Thanks.

I'll look into these 2 products. Thank you for your help.
RickC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof