Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 03-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #1

Default Roof Coating?

On our 1988 Voyager the roof appears to be fiberglass, but I'm not sure. Do you need to coat these with anything?
Becky

Old 03-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #2

Becky,

Your roof is either aluminum or a rubber coated roof, not fiberglass. Best bet is a aluminum roof. Check and see if there is a "wood grain" type design in it. If so, it is a metal roof. The product you are looking for is Kool Seal. They make it for both types of roof. It comes in a blue and white gallon can. You can get it at Lowes for half the price Camping World wants for it. Simple to use, just clean the trailer roof with soap, water (no power washer) and a stiff brush. Once dry, use a paint brush on the seams and around the vents, antenna, vent stack, etc. Use a paint roller for the rest of the roof. Let dry for 24 hrs and give a second coat. This should be done every couple of years. When it comes to maintenance on anything, be proactive not reactive.

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Becky,

Your roof is either aluminum or a rubber coated roof, not fiberglass. Best bet is a aluminum roof. Check and see if there is a "wood grain" type design in it. If so, it is a metal roof. The product you are looking for is Kool Seal. They make it for both types of roof. It comes in a blue and white gallon can. You can get it at Lowes for half the price Camping World wants for it. Simple to use, just clean the trailer roof with soap, water (no power washer) and a stiff brush. Once dry, use a paint brush on the seams and around the vents, antenna, vent stack, etc. Use a paint roller for the rest of the roof. Let dry for 24 hrs and give a second coat. This should be done every couple of years. When it comes to maintenance on anything, be proactive not reactive.

Bob
This isnt absolutely true. Mine is fiberglass just like the sides, mine's a 95 model, has the ripple molded looking fiberglass sides.

Becky unless you see damage, holes, or cracking fiberglass, your routine maintenence will be looking and possibly replacing the caulking around seams and fixtures up there. Many posts about leaking around the roof vents, so check it carefully, save you problems when caught early!

I should be photographic memory but I dont seem to recall, but there are several posts about leaks on here, many replies recommend a certain calk, one for rubber roofs, and another that is an option for ones that arent. I recommend using the ones they say... plain old Silicone, IMHO doesnt like sunshine, plus is harder to remove later when you have to replace it so I use what they said, and hope it comes off easier in a few years.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #4

Smile Roof Coating

Thanks!
I knew I wasn't crazy about the roof being fiberglass. We are planning on caucking around all windows as they look like they really need it. We have to replace the top half of our door because it leaked around the glass. It was like that when we purchased it, but we liked the low towing. We also have some soft places on the walls mainly around shower. Hoping maybe they will dry out!!! As we will only use the camper a few times a year. For Fair activities here in Belmont County.
Becky
Old 03-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Thanks!
I knew I wasn't crazy about the roof being fiberglass. We are planning on caucking around all windows as they look like they really need it. We have to replace the top half of our door because it leaked around the glass. It was like that when we purchased it, but we liked the low towing. We also have some soft places on the walls mainly around shower. Hoping maybe they will dry out!!! As we will only use the camper a few times a year. For Fair activities here in Belmont County.
Becky
soft wet places will only dry eventually, I laughingly thought, when it is a pile of sawdust, or stored in desert... but I have had an old used motorhome, that I managed to get to dry up (using HEATERS to dry the air and stuff you know) I expedited the drying: pealed back layers, painted on several coats of some paint called KILS on parts I couldnt replace and were wood and anything touching it was sturdy, to stop mold. Good friends bought and still use the old thing.

this of course would been waste of time If I hadnt found the leaks, like you are.

good luck, that motor home went to the lake once a year, that is about all the gas I could afford for a while, lol.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #6

Thanks Sting. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. I never knew HiLo had a fiberglass roof. Have only seen metal and rubber roofs. Sorry if I misled anybody. The lessons learned on this forum is better than any college degree.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #7

my 87 funchaser roof looks like fiberglass
but 16th of an inch below that is aluminum
bluewindsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #8

Sue,

Does it look like the fiberglass was applied, like painted on? Or is it a separate sheet that was laid over the aluminum?

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #9

Lowes around here doesn't carry Kool-Seal anymore. They have something new that I used last time. I'll have to look at the can to see what it's called but I was very happy with the results. It has a 10 year warranty too.

boater454 is offline   Reply With Quote