Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Exterior Roof, doors, windows, awnings, etc

Old 04-19-2023, 01:07 PM   #1

Question When to seal (caulk) exterior. Before or after paint job.

Hello folks, I've been working on my 9421FLL. My question is should I seal all windows and doors before I paint it or seal it after I paint it? I'm using total boat paint "Sand Beige" with hardner and using a LVLP gun (I'm thinning out the paint). Thanks in advance for any and all advice/input.

Attached is the paint I'm using.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230419-105540_Amazon Shopping.jpg (98.6 KB, 5 views)

On a budget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 01:15 AM   #2

Hello, Here's a suggestion...
We painted the exterior of our 2589RD at home 3 years ago; I cleaned and scraped off as much as possible of the excess dirty window caulk/seal on outside. I then applied a new bead of exterior window calking on all the windows, then painted. It's been holding up real well for me so far. Hope this helps.

Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 02:57 AM   #3
sam

Default Window sealing

Strongly recommend that any RV that is 5to6yrs. old that all windows be removed and resealed. You will need to get butyl tape. It comes in two wiidths. If this isn't done you will get water damage to your walls. Lexel caulk is a very good premium caulk to use to seal the exterior around the windows. It can be purchased at ACE Hardware or on line. It comes in clear and white.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 04:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Strongly recommend that any RV that is 5to6yrs. old that all windows be removed and resealed. You will need to get butyl tape. It comes in two wiidths. If this isn't done you will get water damage to your walls. Lexel caulk is a very good premium caulk to use to seal the exterior around the windows. It can be purchased at ACE Hardware or on line. It comes in clear and white.

Yes, I've done that. Removed all windows and took all the old butyl tape and replaced it with new butyl tape. I'm on my last window and got to thinking If I seal the windows with caulking then paint it it should elongate the caulk life.
Old 04-20-2023, 04:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Hello, Here's a suggestion...
We painted the exterior of our 2589RD at home 3 years ago; I cleaned and scraped off as much as possible of the excess dirty window caulk/seal on outside. I then applied a new bead of exterior window calking on all the windows, then painted. It's been holding up real well for me so far. Hope this helps.
Thanks you for your reply. I keep searching on the internet and get mixed reviews. Some say before others say after. I'm probably gonna seal then paint over the caulking..
Old 04-21-2023, 09:00 AM   #6
Site Team

As long as you use caulk that will accept paint, this will work. I think Lexel can be painted over. Most silicone caulks cannot be painted, but I would only use Lexel anyway.

- Jack
Old 04-21-2023, 05:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
As long as you use caulk that will accept paint, this will work. I think Lexel can be painted over. Most silicone caulks cannot be painted, but I would only use Lexel anyway.

- Jack
I was planning on using dicor lap sealant non sag.
Old 04-22-2023, 03:47 AM   #8
sam

Default What caulk to use.

DH only used Dicor lap sealant on the AC vent on the roof. I would take a trip to the nearest big box store or Hardware store. Read the caulk tube information. A tube of quality caulk should be able to do two or three windows. Please don't use Dicor as it is the wrong thing to use on windows.
Old 04-22-2023, 10:08 AM   #9
Site Team

Thanks, sam. I was going to object to using Dicor, too, but it helps to have another like-minded member chime in. I'll repeat my recommendation to use Lexel. It is VERY adhesive and long lasting. It is also easy to work with and apply cleanly.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 01:21 PM   #10

Sam, Jackandjanet thanks for your input I'll go with lexel. Thank you guys.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:03 PM   #11
sam

Default You are welcome.

You ought to be able to read the specifications on Lexel caulk on the internet.I like you choice of paint. Looking forward to pictures.
Old 04-23-2023, 03:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
You ought to be able to read the specifications on Lexel caulk on the internet.I like you choice of paint. Looking forward to pictures.
Already did. It's 100% printable.