Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 07-12-2023, 11:47 PM   #1

Default Roof Coating and Sealer

Hello everyone,
I recently coated my HiLo's Metal Roof with an elastomeric rv roof coating made for metal roofs. I pressure washed and scrubbed the roof, Then I applied 2 coats of the paint, waiting 24 hours between coats. We went camping last week and I noticed that the roof on the outside was very cool to the touch compared to before the application! and this was on a very warm day here in the west coast. I believe the HiLo's interior temperature was a little cooler than before the roof coating application, but not very noticeable. The main purpose was to seal and weather proof the roof. Well worth the effort so far,...I think.
I'll know soon enough with these extreme temperatures here in California if it holds up!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2762.jpg (143.7 KB, 20 views)

Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 12:07 AM   #2
sam

Default Roof coating and sealer.

I also have coated my metal roof . It is easier to keep clean. It is not recommended to wash any part of an RV with a pressure washer. DH got on our roof today and used a good cleaner and a some what stiff brush. Check your roof yearly for any signs of pin point holes. Recaulk as needed. Love the "marshmellow white roof".

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 12:30 AM   #3

Thank you for your suggestion, Sam, yes we will be careful when and if, we use the pressure washer on the HiLo. It needed a good prep before applying paint, but I made sure not to use a lot of pressure when using the pressure washer. Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:03 AM   #4
Site Team

Angel - I think you'll find the elastomeric paint will hold up VERY well. Here in Aridzona, we use a lot of it on our home's built-up roofs. I've also used it on the awning - the part that is exposed to sunlight when the awning is rolled up since it is flexible and protects against UV damage. Finally, I've used the elasomeric stucco paint on exposed wood surfaces (and on the stucco of course) on my home. I'm totally sold on its properties.

Yes - The white coating DOES reflect solar heating, but you get more through the sides of the trailer since it has such minimal insulation. Remember, heat rises, so a hot roof tends to warm the air above it. There's a little bit of conduction heating from the roof, but that is far less than conduction, radiation and convection from the sides, especially when they are in sunlight.

- Jack
Old 07-20-2023, 05:39 PM   #5

Looks good just did mine too, what I need is a vent cover. Seems like hard to find size
Ramcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 11:51 PM   #6

I too need a vent cover for my 2589. It is an odd sized one and I have not been able to find one. I even called some of the vendors/manufactures and they said that the ones they have will not fit! Too small. UURRGG!! The emergency escape hatch, if I remember correctly is about 22 1/4" x 22 1/4". But no one seems to have one. If anyone knows where I can get one please post. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:14 PM   #7
sam

Default Vent cover

Some of our forum members have gone to a metal fabrication shop. The vent cover is an odd size. Wish i could be more helpful.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote