Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 12-07-2023, 01:43 AM   #1

Default Hi-Lo Condition

I am saddened at times to look at some photos posted on the forum of a lot of HiLos with so much damage and in such disarray/condition needing repairs!!

Why would owners of such great travel trailer campers allow them to end up in those conditions thru the years?? I know that not everyone can have them stored in covered garages, and that the weather and salty conditions wrecks them!! But...

Was it not a great investment to the original purchaser/owner and the subsequent buyers/owners?

If it was, then why not maintain it and keep it from reaching such dire and terrible conditions?

HiLos are somewhat high maintenance travel trailers compared to non-lowering type travel trailers, but the beauty of them (able to lower them for travel) and with a little maintenance, is where we have them beat!!

Please don't let them reach such conditions and fall apart.

Thank you for lending an ear, and let me know what you guys think.

Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 08:25 AM   #2
Site Team

Yup, I agree with you 100%. Seems stupid to me that someone would pay for something that costs this much and then allows it to fall into disrepair.

- Jack

Old 12-07-2023, 07:21 PM   #3
sam

Default HiLo condition.

Not every one is handy. Our first HiLo was bought used from a HiLo dealer. No one told us to take out all the windows and reseal them with butyl tape. Also reseal with Lexell tape. Many hrs. later and $1.000 in material the damaged walls were repaired. Year after year we drove by this 1970s HiLo that was outside in the up position. No cover. We don't see it anymore. I knew this RV tech that didn't check his RV and had damage. Easy to let things get by you.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 07:09 PM   #4

I agree with you Sam that not everyone is handy and able to take on some of the maintenance work required on our HiLos; I too purchased my HiLo (used from a guy who never fully disclosed to us all the water damage it had). Not knowing what to look for before buying it (rookie mistake!!), we blindingly purchased it and then had to park it for years while we worked on it. Even though it took us years to repair our hilo- (lots of things happened along those years while repairing it that slowed us down), I am sooo glad we got her back in shape and now we enjoy every camping trip we take. I'm also getting up there in age, so it's fix and repair only as needed! haha.
Old 12-12-2023, 10:10 PM   #5
sam

Default HiLo repairs

We went from a pop up to a HiLo. We didn't know much about the lift system. I know another brand of TT that is very expensive to buy new or used. Some members spend at least ten thousand dollars on parts. The average time for repairs is three years. Some have taken ten years as life can get in the way. MY DH is soon to be 78yrs old. He does many repairs to our home and HiLo. He may just do the repairs a little bit slower. Our neighbors and church love a handy man. When we got our second HiLo the first thing we did was pull all the windows. The escape window had the start of delamination. One window was cut a little too big from the factory. DH shimmed it up. Someone went crazy with the impact gun on the window install of the day and night shade. Discovered the bottom cupboard by the dinette never got fastened to the wall.It took us part time for five months to repair our first HiLo. I was sick of repairs. Wishing all my HiLo friends a Merry Christmas and a happy new year.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 10:48 PM   #6

Happy Holidays to all.
Old 12-15-2023, 12:31 AM   #7

I wonder the same thing when I see a muscle car, sports car or an expensive boat that's been allowed to fall into disrepair. I've knocked at the door of more than one house that has a tired, faded car or boat in the driveway to ask if they're interested in selling, and invariably get some version of the same response - "it's not for sale - I'm going to restore it".

One of my wife's nieces owns the '68 Mustang that my wife and her late first husband bought new. It hasn't run in years and is sitting on dirt under a torn tarp in her back yard where it's been for at least 25 years, but she absolutely won't sell it - even back to my wife - because her husband insists that sooner or later he'll get around to getting it back on the street.
Old 12-19-2023, 08:46 PM   #8

Mery Christmas to all of you happy campers
mail pouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 04:21 PM   #9

Merry Christmas. As to why people keep old Ho-L's and let them go bad, some people hold onto their dreams and memories. If they enjoy seeing it sit in their shed or back yard, who is it hurting? Why be so judgmental? Beach
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 08:25 PM   #10

No intent to be judgmental - just makes me sad to see irreplaceable pieces of history being allowed to rot, especially when there are folks ready, willing and able to bring them back to life before they deteriorate to a point where they're beyond saving.